The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- The Jammu and Kashmir Governor, Satya Pal Malik on February 8, 2019 granted the Divisional Status to Ladakh Region which was a part of the Kashmir Division, while exercising its powers under Section 5 of Land Revenue Act, 1996. The Ladakh division will comprise Leh and Kargil districts with its headquarters at Leh. With this, Ladakh became the third and the biggest Division in the state with the other two being Jammu, and Kashmir.
- Sailesh, an IAS Officer of Assam-Meghalaya Cadre of 1985 batch, assumed the charge as Secretary of Ministry of Minority Affairs on February 7, 2019. The Minister of Minority Affairs, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi took meeting with the Secretary and other senior officers of the Ministry and reviewed progress of scheme implementation for the welfare of minorities.
- The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas observed the Ujjwala Utsav to celebrate the stellar role played by all stakeholders such as district nodal officers, policy makers, distributors and beneficiaries in making Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) a success. The occasion also saw the launch of the PMUY anthem Ujjwala Bharat Ujjwala, composed and developed by eminent singer Padma Shri Kailash Kher.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the four laning of the Falakata-Salsalabari section of NH -31 D in the northern part of West Bengal. The 41.7 km long section of National Highway will incorporate all necessary safety features to provide relief to road users. It will facilitate better movement of tea and other agricultural produce from the region to markets.
- Lieutenant General Ranbir Singh, GOC-in-C of Northern Command presented the Sena medals to 92 army men at an investiture ceremony for their gallantary and distinguised services. 76 medals were presented for gallatry services, 7 medals for distinguised services and 8 for Vishist Seva. Lance Naik Nazir Ahmed Wani, a recipient of Ashok Chakra was also awarded Bar to Sena Medal poshthumously which was received by his wife. Sena medals were established in 17 June 1960.
- Dinkar Gupta, a 1987-batch IPS officer, was on 7 February, 2019 appointed as the Punjab director general of Police. He will replace Suresh Arora. Till now, Gupta was posted as DGP intelligence in Punjab involving the direct supervision of state intelligence wing, state anti- terrorist squad and organized crime control unit.
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu flagged off the Arunachal leg of the Startup India Yatra from civil secretariat in Itanagar. The Startup Yatra van will travel across the state with two Boot camps and 4 van stops to provide a platform to entrepreneurs at grassroots to pitch their ideas. The yatra will create awareness among the youths on governments policy for startups, startup India and other schemes aimed at supporting the entrepreneurs.
- The 5th India-Bangladesh Joint Consultative Committee Meeting was held in New Delhi. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Foreign Affairs Minister of Bangladesh Dr. A. K. Abdul Momen co-chaired the meeting. The Foreign Affairs Minister of Bangladesh arrived in New Delhi on February 6, 2019 on a four day visit to India. It is the first high-level visit from Bangladesh since Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s victory in the parliamentary elections in December 2018.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.