The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its October World Economic Outlook (WEO) has lowered India’s economic growth forecast at 6.7% in 2017 and 7.4% in 2018.
- Union Cabinet have approved the change of International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities’ (IALA) status from Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) to Inter-Governmental Organization (IGO). The IALA will now be equal to International Maritime Organisation (IMO) and International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO). The organisation is known for collection and dissemination of nautical expertise and advice.
- The Supreme Court has criminalised sex between man and his underage wife below 18 years provided the woman files a complaint within a year in the case of Independent Thought v. Union of India. The court has fixed the age of consent at 18 for all females. The NGO had challenged exception clause (2) in Section 375 IPC (which deals with rape).
- Actor Anupam Kher has been appointed as the new Chairman of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) in Pune. He will succeed Gajendra Chauhan.
- Former US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia, Nisha Desai Biswal, was appointed as President of US-India Business Council (USIBC). USIBC is a forum of US businesses part of US Chamber of Commerce (USCC), the largest lobbying organisation in the America.
- The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) successfully launched Michibiki-4 satellite (QZSS-4) onboard of H-IIA rocket from Tanegashima Space Centre. It is the fourth satellite in the Michibiki series,i.e., Quasi-Zenith Satellite System (QZSS), which is a satellite-based high-precision global positioning system similar to America operated GPS.