The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Indian Navy inducted its first Submarine Rescue System with Deep Submergence Rescue Vessel (DSRV) along with associated equipment at western naval dockyard in Mumbai, Maharashtra (west coast of India). It is first of the two non-tethered DSRVs ordered by Indian Navy. Its induction will enhance Indian Navy’s operational capabilities for search, locate and provide assistance to downed or disaster-struck or distressed submarines at high sea. The vehicles are developed by Scotland-based JFD, a part of James Fisher and Sons Plc In March, 2016.
- Uttar Pradesh based startup HelpUsGreen has been honoured by UN for its works to clean River Ganga by recycling tonnes of floral waste. UN presented the award to the 14 other countries along with India at the Nations Climate Action award ceremony during the UN Climate Change Conference in Katowice. HelpUsGreen started as world’s first profitable solution to the waste problem created by flowers in monumental temple.
- Minister of State for Parliamentary affairs Arjun Ram Meghwal introduced Dam Safety Bill 2018 in Lok Sabha which provides a uniform procedure for the safety of dams in country. The bill ensures surveillance, inspection, operation and maintenance of dams; and prevention of dam failure from disaster. According to bill, dam owner is responsible for dam safety and contain penal provisions for not adhering the certain acts of bill. India holds third rank after USA and China in terms of larger number of dams (5254).
- The Delhi High Court bench comprising Chief Justice Rajendra Menon and Justice V K Rao on December 12, 2018 ordered a ban on the sale of online medicines by e-pharmacists across the country. The court directed both Central and state government to ensure immediate implementation of the order.
- The Supreme Court bench comprising Justices Madan B Lokur and Deepak Gupta on December 11, 2018 directed the print and electronic media not to reveal the identity of victims of rape and sexual assault even in a remote manner. The bench said that nobody can have any objection to the victim disclosing her name herself as long as she is a major and has taken the decision voluntarily.
- Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) under the aegis of the National Hydrology Project of the Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation organised the first International Conference on ‘Sustainable Water Management’ on 10, 11December, 2018 at Indian School of Business (ISB) in Mohali, Punjab with the theme of ‘Sustainable Water Management’. According to the researchers, India’s total water demand will increase 32 per cent from now by 2050.
- The Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting on December 13, 2018 nominated ‘CID’ Director-producer Brijendra Pal Singh as the new President of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) and as the Chairman of FTII Governing Council. Singh is at present the Vice Chairman of the FTII Governing Council. The position of Chairman of FTII was left vacant after actor Anupam Kher stepped down in October 2018. FTII was established in 1960.
- The Supreme Court collegium recommended the appointment of Justice Ravindra Bhat as the Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court. Justice Bhat is currently a judge of the Delhi High Court. The present Chief Justice of Rajasthan HC, Justice Pradeep Nandrajog, has been recommended to be elevated as SC judge. Bhat had started practise in Delhi after his enrolment in 1982.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.