The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The 8th edition of India and Maldives bilateral military exercise EKUVERIN 2017 was held in India in Belagavi, Karnataka.
- The 4th India-Australia-Japan Trilateral Dialogue was hosted by India in New Delhi. It was hosted by Foreign Secretary Dr. S. Jaishankar, Australia’s Secretary of Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Frances Adamson and Japan’s Vice Minister of
Foreign Affairs Shinsuke J. Sugiyama.
- The 11th World Trade Organization (WTO) Ministerial Conference (MC11) took place in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The Conference was chaired by Minister Susana Malcorra of Argentina. Indian Delegation was led by Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu.
- The Union Cabinet cleared the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2017, or the Triple Talaq bill,which makes the practice a non-bailable offense. The bill proposes a three-year jail term for men who practice instant Triple Talaq.
- National Workshop on Role of Sakhi One Stop Centres (OSCs) in Strengthening Multi Sectoral Response to Violence is was held in New Delhi. It was organized by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) and was inaugurated by WCD Minister Maneka Sanjay Gandhi. The Sakhi scheme is being implemented by since April 1, 2015.
- The National Institute of Transforming India (NITI) Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission launched the Atal Tinkering Lab’s Community Day in New Delhi. The day marks Community Drive Initiative in which 25 young Mentors engaged with more than 200 students who are not enrolled in formal education system.
- This year’s Winter Session of the Parliament began and will end on 5th January 2018. It has only 14 proposed sittings.14 sittings is the lowest for any winter session since 1999.
- Jitesh Singh Deo from Lucknow was declared the winner of the 2017 Mr. India pageant which was held in Mumbai. Indian footballer Prathamesh Maulingkar won the title of India Supranational and will compete at Mr. Supranational 2018.