The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Uttar Pradesh Government has approved renaming of Faizabad and Allahabad divisions as Ayodhya and Prayagraj respectively. The decision was taken at meeting of state cabinet presided over by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in state capital Lucknow. Now, the proposal will now go to Central before the city is officially renamed. Government has justified the name changes across Uttar Pradesh, saying they are merely restoring older names and correcting historical distortions.
- The 6th Indian Social Work Congress was held in New Delhi with the theme “Human Development and Social Inclusion: Imperatives for Social Work Education and Practice”. It was joinly organized by National Association of Professional Social Workers in India (NAPSWI) and Department of Social Work (Delhi School of Social Work), University of Delhi. Dr. Martha Farrell posthumously honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award during this edition of congress for her lifelong work towards gender equality, women’s empowerment and prevention of sexual harassment at workplace.
- The 38th India International Trade Fair (IITF) was inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Culture, Mahesh Sharma at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi. The 14-day annual event was organised by India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO). ITPO is the nodal agency of the Government of India under aegis of Ministry of Commerce and Industry for promoting country’s external trade. The theme of this edition of fair was “Rural Enterprises in India”. Afghanistan is partner country, while Nepal is focus country for this edition of fair.
- World Diabetes Day was observed every year across the world on 14 November to raise awareness about diabetes. Observance of day aims to pursue multilateral efforts to promote and improve human health and provide access to health-care treatment and education. The theme for World Diabetes Day 2018 and 2019 is “The Family and Diabetes”. The World Diabetes Day was instituted by United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in 2007.
- The Infosys Science Foundation (ISF) occasion of its 10th anniversary announced six winners of the Infosys Prize 2018 in the six different categories of the award. The six categories Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Engineering and Computer Science, Social Sciences, Physical Sciences and Humanities. It is one of the highest monetary awards in India that recognizes the scientific research. Engineering and Computer Science: Navakanta Bhat, Humanities: Kavita Singh, Life Sciences: Roop Mallik, Mathematical Sciences: Nalini Anantharaman, Physical Sciences: SK Satheesh and Social Sciences: Sendhil Mullainathan.
- The 10th joint military exercise between Indian and Russia EXERCISE INDRA 2018 was conducted at Babina Field Firing Ranges, Babina Military Station Jhansi, UP with aim to increase interoperability between Indian and Russian Armies. For this exercise, India was represented by Mechanised Infantry Battalion of Indian Army, while Russia was represented by company sized contingents of 5th Army. Started in 2003, INDRA is a joint, bi-annual military exercise.
- Union Ministry off Human Resource Development launched two new initiatives viz. Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) and Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT) for higher education faculty. ARPIT is unique initiative of online professional development while LEAP is three weeks flagship leadership development training programme for second level academic functionaries in higher education institutions.
- Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Radha Mohan Singh on November 14, 2018 launched the ‘Yuva Sahakar-Cooperative Enterprise Support and Innovation Scheme’ of the National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC). The scheme will be linked to Rs 1000 crore ‘Cooperative Start-up and Innovation Fund (CSIF)’ created by the NCDC.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.