The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- The Minimum Selling Price (MSP) of sugar is now Rs. 31 after the Central Government decided to increase the rate by Rs. 2. MSP is the rate below which sugar cannot be sold in the open market by the mills to wholesalers and bulk consumers. This decision was made after taking into consideration the debt burden of the industry.
- A new portal named LADIS – Least Available Depth was launched by the Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) to aid in the optimum usage of National Waterways. For the seamless and free movement of vessels, an assured depth of waterway is essential. Currently, the information would only be available for NW-1, NW-2, Indo-Bangladesh Protocol route and NW-3.
- Sushil Chandra has been appointed as the new Election Commissioner, filling the vacant post of O.P. Rawat, the former Chief Election Commissioner. He will join the other current members of the Election Commission, Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora and Election Commissioner Ashok Lavasa. Appointments of the Election Commissioner are made based on the recommendations of the Cabinet under the Transaction of Business Rules, 1961.
- Kannadigas will be given primacy in private sector jobs under categories Group C and D as the Karnataka Government has amended the Karnataka Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Rules, 1961 to implement the Sarojini Mahishi report. In 1983, a committee was constituted by the state government to recommend job opportunities for Kannadigas.
- Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal became the first woman flight engineer of Indian Air Force, after the flight engineer branch was opened to women officers in 2018. A flight engineer is required to constantly monitor and operate the complex systems of the aircraft.
- Chandramouli Ramanathan was appointed by the United Nations as the Controller, Assistant Secretary-General for Programme Planning, Budget and Finance in the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC). The DMSPC launched on January 2019 with an aim to provide strategic policy leadership in all areas of management through a clear, integrated global management strategy and policy framework.
- The earlier stipulation of 20% limit on investments by Foreign Portfolio Investment (FPIs) in Corporate Bonds has been withdrawn by the Reserve Bank of India. This limit had been introduced to incentivize the FPIs to maintain a portfolio of assets but the feedback from the market was to the contrary.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.