The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- The National Press Day (NPD) is celebrated every year on November 16 as symbolic of free and responsible press in India. This was the day on which Press Council of India (PCI) started functioning as moral watchdog to ensure that not only did press maintain high standards expected from this powerful medium but also that it was not fettered by the influence or threats of any extraneous factors. PCI derives its mandate from Press Council Act, 1978.
- Union Government has inked $169 Million Loan agreement with Asian Development Bank (ADB) for Tamil Nadu Urban Flagship Investment Program. It is first tranche of $500 million multi-tranche financing to provide water and sanitation services in Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu Urban Flagship Investment Program will develop climate-resilient sewerage collection and treatment and drainage systems in 10 cities. Under it country’s first solar-powered sewage treatment plant will be installed.
- Union Government has inked $300 million Loan Agreement with Asian Development Bank (ADB) to support lending by India Infrastructure Finance Company Limited (IIFCL). The loan will enhance availability of long-term finance for PPP projects, improve operational capacity of IIFCL. It will expand portfolio of infrastructure financing instruments available to IIFCL. It is expected to compliment Government’s infrastructure building efforts. IIFCL was set up in 2006 to provide long term debt for infrastructure projects.
- Union Government has approved three proposals under Nirbhaya Fund-Setting up of 1023 Fast Track Special Courts (FTSCs), Procurement of forensic kits for sexual assault cases and Setting up video surveillance system at 50 Railway Stations. Apart from these three proposals, in-principle approval to proposal of Union Ministry of Road Transport and highways for C-DAC for customisation, deployment and management of state wise vehicle tracking platform for safety and enforcement. The fund was created by Ministry of Finance in 2013 with a corpus of Rs 1000 crore.
- Ministry of Woman and Child Development (WCD) has nominated three members to National Commission for Women (NCW) in pursuance Section 3 of the NCW Act, 1990. They are Chandramukhi Devi, Soso Shaiza, and Kamlesh Gautam. All three are BJP members. Rekha Sharma is current chairperson of NCW. NCW is a statutory body established in January 1992 under the National Commission for Women Act, 1990.
- India’s first specialized hospital for elephants was formally opened in Churmura village in Mathura district of Uttar Pradesh. It is promoted by Wildlife SOS which had established first elephant conservation and care centre in 2010 and is currently looking after 20 elephants requiring specialised treatment. The hospital is located close to elephant conservation and care centre. Wildlife SOS (WSOS) is conservation non-profit organisation established in 1995 with primary objective of rescuing and rehabilitating wildlife in distress in country and preserving India’s natural heritage.
- Commercial satellite network ‘Planet’ on November 17, 2018 revealed that India’s Statue of Unity, the world’s tallest statue, is visible from the space. The network Planet photographed the statue from the space on November 15. At 182 metres, the bronze sculpture is nearly twice the height of US’ Statue of Liberty (93 metres).
- Union Government and Asian Development Bank (ADB) have signed $105 million loan to continue financing transmission system upgrades in Himachal Pradesh for increased supply of hydropower to state and national grid. It is third tranche part of $350 million multi-tranche financing facility (MFF) for Himachal Pradesh Clean Energy Transmission Investment Program approved by ADB Board in September 2011.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.