The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Zainab Khan in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- In the report titled ‘Doing Business 2018: Reforming to Create Jobs’, released by World Bank, India has ranked 100th among the 190 countries surveyed in this report. In 2017, India had ranked 130.
- In September 2017, the core sector growth has hit a six-month high according to the index of eight core industries released by the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The core industries comprising of coal, crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, fertilizers, steel, electricity was up 5.2% in September 2017.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) is planning to bring Initial Coin Offerings under its existing legal framework. ICO is an unregulated means of crowd funding for projects via use of cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Monero, DASH, Litecoin, Z-cash, etc.
- The Defence Acquisition Council (that is the Defence Minstry’s highest decision-making body on procurement) headed by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman accorded acceptance of necessity for the procurement of 111 naval utility helicopters (NUHs) worth Rs. 21,738 crores for Indian Navy.
- The National Council for Teacher Education (Amendment) Bill, 2017 was approved by the Union Cabinet to be introduced in the Parliament so that it could amend the National Council for Teacher Educations (NCTE) Act, 1993. It will grant retrospective recognition to Central/State/Universities who are found to be conducting teacher education courses without NCTE permission till the academic year 2017-2018.
- The Global Clubfoot Conference being organised by CURE India in partnership with the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare was inaugurated by President of India Ram Nath Kovind in New Delhi. Clubfoot is the most common orthopaedic birth defect where one or both feet are rotated inwards or downwards.
- The Joint Indo-Russia Tri-Services Exercise INDRA-2017 was successfully conducted in Vladivostok, Russia. It was India’s first joint tri-services exercises and also the first between the two countries.
- The Indian Air Force(IAF) would be participating in a two-week long multilateral air-exercise – Blue Flag – in Israel.
- Girish Karnad, a versatile actor and playwright, will be honoured with Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award 2017.