The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- According to a census report released by Reserve Bank of India, Mauritius was the largest source of Foreign Direct Investment in India.
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Election commissioner Om Prakash Rawat (64) as new Chief Election Commissioner. He will succeed Achal Kumar Joti.
- President Ram Nath Kovind on the recommendation of Election Commission of India (ECI) has disqualified 20 Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLAs from Delhi, citing that they held offices of profit. Office of profit is a position in government which cannot be held by Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) or Member of Parliament (MP). The post ca
n yield salaries, perquisites and other benefits.
- 21st January was the 46th statehood day of Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya. The attained statehood in 1972 under the North-Eastern Areas (Reorganisation ) Act, 1971.
- Madhya Pradesh has become the first state to fully implement door-to-door garbage collection in all urban areas through Public Private Partnership mode.
- Hindi Medium was declared as the Best Picture at the 63rd Filmfare Awards. Vidya Balan won best actress for her role in Tumhari Sulu and Irrfan Khan won best actor for Hindi Medium.
- State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation is set to acquire the government’s stake of 51.11% in Hindustan Petroleum.
- Sudeep Lakhtakia has been appointed as the new Director General of the black cats commando force NSG.