The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- The Union Finance Ministry has announced the merger of Bhartiya Mahila Bank (BMB) and State Bank of India (SBI) to ensure better reach to a larger number of women.
- Manipur, which has been undergoing a four month long economic blockade, saw the lifting of such a blockade. The blockade was enforced by UNC, protesting against decision of former Chief Minister O. Ibobi Singh to carve out 7 new districts in the state, where Nagas have substantial presence. The blockade had cut off the two main highways, blocking movement of essential commodities to Manipur.
- The Rajya Sabha today passed the Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (Prevention and Control) Bill, 2014. The bill provides for the prevention and control of the spread of HIV Syndrome and for the protection of human rights of persons affected by the Virus.
- India and Nepal Armies jointly conducted Surya Kiran XI joint exercise at Pithoragarh in Surya Kiran is conducted every year, alternatively in India and Nepal, with an aim to promote military relations.
- The United Nation s General Assembly designated March 21 as the International Day of Forests to celebrate and raise awareness of the importance of all types of forests. The theme: ‘Forests and Energy‘.
- March 20 is celebrated as the World Sparrow day (WSD) every year to raise awareness of the house sparrow and other common birds and the threat to their survival.
- Justice Navniti Prasad Singh took oath as the Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court. He was a former judge in the Patna High Court and was transferred to Kerala High Court.
- The rivers Ganga and Yamuna were accorded the status of “living human entities” by the Uttarakhand High Court. Exercising extraordinary jurisdiction vested in the court, a division bench of Justices Rajeev Sharma and Alok Singh of Nainital High Court bestowed the title upon the two rivers.
- Tamil Nadu won the Vijay Hazare Trophy in Cricket, for the fifth time. They defeated Bengal in Delhi. It was Tamil Nadu’s third victory over Bengal in the final of this competition.