The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- A bi-directional road tunnel is set to be completed on Jammu-Srinagar National Highway by the next month. Being 11 kms long, it will be Asia’s longest bi-directional road tunnel.
- The Peshawar High Court in Pakistan has ordered separate counting of Sikhs in the nationwide census to be conducted in Pakistan. Notably, it is the first nationwide head count in Pakistan in the last 19 years. It will be the 6th census to be conducted in the country.
- India has won 18 medals so far in the ongoing 2017 Olympics World Winter Games conducted in Austria. The team of specially-abled sportsman, called the Special Olympics Bharat (SOB), won six gold medals, four silver medals, and eight bronze medals.
- A project titled ‘Sustainable Action for Climate Resilient Development in Majuli’ was launched in Assam by its chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal to develop the world’s largest river island, Majuli, into country’s first Carbon Neutral district by 2020. He also launched “Forests are Lives” campaign to protect Assam’s rich heritage and bio-diversity.
- The Government of India, along with the Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC) are set to launch India’s first Sign Language Dictionary. The dictionary will be based on the Indian Sign Language
- India ranked 131 out of 188 countries in UN Development Programme’s Human Development Index 2016. The index is a part of Human Development for Everyone’s Report 2016. India was third amongst SAARC Countries, after Sri Lanka (73) and Maldives (105). Norway was ranked the first on the list, followed by Australia and Switzerland.
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFRs) launched the GRAPES-3 Telescope, located in Ooty. It is designed to study cosmic rays with an array of air shower detectors and a large muon detector.
- March 22 is celebrated as the World Water Day to raise awareness about conserving water. The theme for 2017 is: ‘Why Waste Water?’ World Water Day has been celebrated since 1993 after the Agenda 21 was accepted by the UN in 1992.