The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- The Ministry of Culture is organizing a cultural event in the North-East, called the 5th Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsava 2017 from March 23-31, 2017. The event celebrates diversity and India’s rich culture and heritage.
- In Telangana, the Ninth Gorkhas celebrated their 200 years of raising. The first battalion of the Ninth Gorkhas was raised by the British in 1817 as the “Fatehgarh Levy”. The Ninth Gorkha regiment is one of the seven Gorkha regiments of the Indian Army.
- India was ranked 87th out of 127 countries in the Energy Architecture Performance Index 2017 released by the World Economic Forum. The first position was secured by
- Ed Sheeran, an English song-writer and singer, will be awarded the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame’s 2017 Hal David Starlight Award.
- French mathematician, Yves Meyer, was awarded the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters’ 2017 Abel Prize. He was awarded for his contribution to the development of the mathematical theory of wavelets.
- NASA plans to send a next-generation atomic clock into the space by the end of 2017. It will help in furthering safe navigation of human exploration of the space. Full form of NASA: National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Headquarters: Washington, D.C.
- India won 8 medals (3 Gold, 1 Silver, 4 Bronze) in the recent 9th edition of Fazza International IPC Athletics Grand Prix Competition in Dubai, completing at the 7th rank out of the participating 48 countries.
- March 23 is celebrated as World Meteorological Day, commemorating the establishment of World Meteorological Organisation. The theme for 2017 is ‘Understanding Clouds’ which aims to highlight the importance of clouds for weather climate and water.
- March 23 is also celebrated in India as the Shaheed Diwas or the Martyr’s Day to commemorate the death anniversary of India’s freedom struggle fighters, Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar, and Shivaram Hari Rajguru. March 23, 2017 is the 86th death anniversary.