The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- The Minister of Textiles, Smriti Irani inaugurated two silk projects- Soil to Silk Project and Eri Spun Silk Mill-in Assam. The soil to silk project envisages new Eri plantation on 100 hectares and will facilitate post cocoon activities for an on-farm sector like plantation, spinning and reeling. The Eri Silk Development Project aims to utilize tapioca plantation for dual purpose i.e. the tuber for food and the leaves for Eri silkworm.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to South Korea signed seven agreements to boost up the cooperation. This was the second visit of Prime Minister Modi to the Republic of Korea since 2015 and it was a second summit meeting with the South Korean president, Moon Jae-in. The agreements were signed for cooperation in the different fields like combating trans-border and international crimes, road and transport infrastructure development, for releasing a joint stamp commemorating Princess Suriratna etc.
- The government of Madhya Pradesh has launched the Mukhyamantri Yuva Swabhiman Yojana to provide employment for youth. This scheme guarantees 100 days of employment every year to urban youth from economically weaker sections (EWS). The youth would get Rs 4,000 stipend per month and total Rs 13,500 for the 100 days period would be provided.
- The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) condemning the Pulwama Terror Attack has decided to continue the ‘Grey’ listing of Pakistan for its failure to stop funding of terrorist groups such as Jaish-e-Mohammad, Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jamat-ud-Dawa. Grey list will endanger Pakistan’s banking links to the outside world.
- The Jindal Steel and Power Ltd (JSPL) has been presented the prestigious ‘FICCI CSR Award’ for Women Empowerment. Instituted in 1991 by FCCI, FICCI Corporate Social Responsibility Awards were India’s first CSR awards. The award is aimed at identifying and recognizing the efforts of companies in integrating and internalizing Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carrying Israeli company SpaceIL’s lunar lander blasted off from Florida. If successful Israel will join the club of countries which includes Russia, the US and China who have made successful controlled landing on the surface of moon. The first landing on the moon was made by Soviet Union with Luna 2 in 1959.
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has suspended all discussions with India regarding hosting of global sporting events in the backdrop of denial of visas to the two Pakistani Shooters. The Pakistani shooters were supposed to participate in the 25m rapid fire pistol event in the ISSF World Cup which was a qualification competition for the Tokyo Olympic Games to be held in 2020. Denial of visa for Pakistani shooters is against the Fundamental Principles of the Olympic Charter.
- Dr Divya Karnad, Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies at Ashoka University has been awarded the prestigious Global Future For Nature Award 2019 for her work on marine conservation. Dr Divya Karnad’s project InSeason Fish had successfully reduced the unwanted bycatch of endangered sharks along the Coromandel Coast of India.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.