The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- President Ram Nath Kovind administered the Oath of office to Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose as Lokpal, the first anti-corruption ombudsman of the country. The Lokpal Act which provides for a chairperson and a maximum of eight members in the Lokpal panel and of these, four need to be judicial members had received the assent of the President on January 1, 2014. The chairperson and members will hold office for a term of five years or till they attain 70 years of age.
- India has extended a financial grant of 35.5 million Nepalese rupees for the construction of an educational campus in Nepal under the Development Partnership Programme which is administered by the Development Administration Partnership division in the Ministry of External Affairs. Development Administration Partnership was established in January 2012.
- The Central Government has banned the Yasin Malik-led Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) as an unlawful association under the provisions of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA). Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) is spearheading the separatist ideology in the Kashmir valley and has been at the forefront of the separatist activities and violence since 1988.
- 107th Bihar Diwas was celebrated on March 22nd across the state to commemorate the day when Bihar was carved out of the Bengal Presidency in the year 1912. In 1911 when the capital of then British India was shifted to Delhi, the Bengal Presidency was split into four sabhas Bengal, Orissa, Bihar and Assam. Bihar Diwas was first celebrated in 2010 initiated by then chief minister Nitish Kumar.
- Vice Admiral Karambir Singh will succeed Admiral Sunil Lanba, who retires on 31st of May this year, as the next Navy Chief. Vice Admiral Karambir Singh is currently serving as the Flag Officer Commander -in- Chief of the Eastern Naval Command. He has received the Param Vishisht Seva Medal and the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal.
- US-backed forces in Syria on March 23, 2019 announced they have liberated the last area held by the Islamic State in the eastern Syrian village of Baghouz, declaring victory over the extremist group and the end of its self-declared Islamic caliphate. The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) has been battling for weeks to defeat ISIS in Baghouz in southeastern Syria at the Iraqi border.
- In football, India has clinched the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Women’s Championship for the fifth time in a row, defeating hosts Nepal 3-1 in the final at Biratnagar. Since 2010, it is being held for every two years. The current SAFF members are Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.