The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- The joint military exercise Iron Magic 19 between United Arab Emirates (UAE) and United States (US) kicked off near Dubai. The two-week military exercise is part of series of joint military exercises held throughout the year between UAE armed forces and armed forces of other countries. The exercise seeks to reinforce cooperation, joint actions and exchange of expertise in military areas between both countries.
- UN-backed fund Green Climate Fund (GCF) has approved US $43.4 million for enhancing climate resilience for millions of people living in India’s coastal communities as part of its efforts to combat extreme impacts of climate change. This GCF funded multi-dimensional project in India will focus on selected vulnerable areas of Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Odisha states. This project will be supported through United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- India and Myanmar inked MoU for appointment of private port operator for Operation and Maintenance (O&M) of Sittwe Port, Paletwa Inland Water Terminal and associated facilities included in Kaladan Multi Model Transit Transport Project. This project aims to connect seaport of Kolkata (India) with Sittwe seaport in Myanmar by sea; it will then link Sittwe seaport to Lashio in Myanmar via Kaladan river boat route and then from Lashio to Mizoram in India by road transport. This project will reduce distance from Kolkata to Mizoram by approximately 1000 km.
- Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has launched Harit Diwali-Swasth Diwali campaign aimed to reduce adverse environmental conditions especially pollution in the country after post Diwali celebrations due to excessive bursting of crackers which contributes significantly to air and noise pollution. This campaign was initiated in 2017-18 to enlighten children about harmful fire crackers and motivate them to celebrate Diwali in environment-friendly manner. For 2018 campaign, MOEFCC has initiated similar campaign, but has extended pan-India. It also merged this year’s campaign with “Green Good Deed” movement.
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu presented the 19th Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence in Public Administration to constitutional lawyer Fali S. Nariman (89) in New Delhi. He was the senior advocate to Supreme Court of India since 1971 and has remained President of Bar Association of India since 1991. He was Additional Solicitor General of India from May 1972- June 1975. He has been awarded Padma Bhushan (1991), Padma Vibhushan (2007) and Gruber Prize for Justice (2002). He was nominated by President as member of Rajya Sabha for single term (1999–2005). The award was instituted in 1999 by Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management.
- The Druzhba 2018 (Friendship 2018) joint bilateral military exercise between Pakistan and Russian Special Forces has begun in Pakistan. The two week long joint military exercise is aimed at bolstering and building military cooperation between the two countries. It was started in 2016. Its first edition was held in October, 2016 in Pakistan. In the third edition of exercise, servicemen from two countries’ armed forces will perform tasks at altitude of 1,400 meters above the sea level.
- India and China have signed agreement on internal security cooperation. It is first such agreement to be signed between the two countries. The agreement was signed by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and China’s State Councilor and Minister of Public Security Zhao Kezhi in New Delhi. It aims to strengthen and consolidate assistance in counter-terrorism, organised crimes, drug control, human trafficking and exchange of information. It covers areas of intelligence sharing, exchange programme, sharing of best practices, and cooperation in disaster mitigation besides others.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.