The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- The Supreme Court appointed former apex court judge Justice DK Jain as the first court-appointed ombudsman for the BCCI under the terms of newly approved constitution of the cricket board. The role of the ombudsman would be to resolve the disputes relating to the players within the state cricket associations as also financial issues.
- NITI Aayog organised the ‘Conference on Future of Indian Banking and role of technology’ on February 22, 2019 with an aim to increase and elevate the discourse on the banking sector in India, and help develop insights to inform the continued evolution of the Indian banking sector.
- The Union Minister of State of Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER), Jitendra Singh addressed the launch of ‘Shisht Bharat Abhiyan’ organised by an NGO. The theme of the event was to discuss the importance of moral science education in schools and colleges and to include Moral Science as a subject in the educational curriculum.
- President Ram Nath Kovind on February 21, 2019 unveiled a statue of Mahatma Gandhi at the Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha in Chennai. The Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha, founded by Mahatma Gandhi and Annie Besant in 1918, completed 100 years. It has worked for the promotion of Hindi in the southern states.
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated Nellore All India Radio FM Station in Andhra Pradesh. Apart from broadcasting entertainment programmes in Telugu, the FM station would provide important information to farmers and other sections. This will encourage the locals to showcase their talent in music and other areas, apart from enabling them to keep abreast of current affairs.
- The Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the “Waste to Wonder” Park under the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC). The main attractions of the “Seven Wonders Park” are the different sized tall replicas of the Seven Wonders of the World. The seven replicas have been made with the scrap of automobile parts and other metal waste like fans, rods, iron sheets, nut- bolts, bicycle & bike parts, defunct sewer lines and age old appliances gathering dust in the 24 Municipal Stores.
- International Mother Language Day was observed on February 21, 2019 to promote linguistic and cultural diversity and multilingualism with the theme ‘Indigenous Languages as a factor in development, peace and reconciliation’. According to UN data, a language disappears every two weeks taking with it an entire cultural and intellectual heritage. At least 43 percent of the estimated 6000 languages spoken in the world are endangered.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.