The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Zainab Khan in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The World Polio Day is observed annually across the world on 24th October to create awareness about the hazards of the crippling Polio disease. The day commemorates the birth of Jonas Salk, who led the team that developed the vaccine against poliomyelitis (polio virus).
- Ministries of Power and Textiles have come together under SAATHI (Sustainable and Accelerated Adoption of efficient Textile technologies to Help small Industries) initiative. Under this, a PSU under the Ministry of Powers named Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) will procure energy efficient powerlooms, motors and rapier kits in bulk and provide them to small and medium powerloom units at no upfront cost.
- A maritime astrolabe that guided Portugese explorers to India in the 16th century has been discovered and has been confirmed as the world’s oldest astrolabe.
- Girija Devi, queen of thumri – a common genre of semi-classical Indian music, has passed away.
- The scientists of CSIR-National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology (CSIR-NIIST) have developed organic filter that allows only near-infrared (NIR) light to pass through it. The filter was found to absorb light from 300-850 nm (both ultraviolet, visible and part of NIR light) and transmit NIR light from 850-1500 nm.
- The Union Government has announced to build 83,677 kms of roads, highways, greenfield expressways and bridges with investment of Rs. 6.92 lakh crores by 2022 to further optimise efficiency of movement of goods and people across the country. It includes the first phase of BharatMala Pariyojana, a new umbrella programme that involves construction of 34,800 km highways by 2022.
- The Supreme Court has banned use of pet-coke and dirty furnace oil in Haryana, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh from 1st November 2017 in a bid to reduce air pollution in Delhi and National Capital Region (NCR).
- The Central Vigilance Commission has decided to develop Integrity Index of 25 Government Organisations in line with its broader strategy and emphasis on preventive vigilance. This index will be for bench-marking internal processes and controls within the organisation as well as management of relationships and expectations of outside stakeholders.