The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- The Union Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Kuwait for cooperation on the recruitment of domestic workers. The MoU will benefit around 3 lakh Indian workers deployed in Kuwait, including about 90,000 female domestic workers and promotes bilateral cooperation in domestic workers-related matters between the two countries.
- The government of India has announced the Padma Awards 2019. The 112 prominent personalities honoured with the Padma Awards include comprises 4 Padma Vibhushan, 14 Padma Bhushan and 94 Padma Shri Awards. Padma Awards were instituted by the government of India in 1954 to be awarded to citizens of India in recognition of distinguished contribution in the sphere of activities such as industry, literature, science, sports, medicine, social service, education and public affairs. The awards are announced on the eve of Republic Day.
- The 2019 Bharat Ratna award has been bestowed upon former President Pranab Mukherjee, Nanaji Deshmukh and singer Bhupen Hazarika. Nanaji Deshmukh and singer Bhupen Hazarika were awarded Bharat Ratna posthumously. Pranab Mukherjee served as the 13th President of India from 2012 until 2017. Nanaji Deshmukh laid great emphasis on education as a social worker. The first Saraswati Shishu Mandir was established by him at Gorakhpur in 1950. Bhupen Hazarika works were marked by humanity and universal brotherhood and have been translated and sung in many languages.
- President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the India’s highest peacetime gallantry honour, Ashoka Chakra upon Lance Naik Nazir Wani posthumously. Lance Naik Nazir Wani holds the distinction of being the first Kashmiri to be conferred the Ashoka Chakra. Lance Naik Nazir Wani prevented the escape of the terrorists from the target house. He made a huge contribution in neutralising six hardcore terrorist. In the process, he sacrificed his life.
- Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Satya Pal Malik has given his assent to the Jammu and Kashmir Reservation (Amendment) Bill, 2014, providing reservation in government jobs for Pahari community. The bill empowers the government of Jammu and Kashmir to notify method and authority for identification of Pahari Community. The Pahari Community also called as Pahadi and Parbati belongs to Indo-Aryan ethnic group inhabiting Himalayan regions of Nepal and India.
- Fourth edition of Bharat Parv, showcasing the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat began at Red Fort in Delhi on 26 January, 2019 and will continue till 31st of January. The five-day event is a part of Republic Day Celebrations and the objective of this festival is to generate a patriotic fervour and promote the rich cultural diversity of the country. First edition of Bharat Parv was observed in the year 2016.
- Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari has said that works worth 50 thousand crore rupees have been sanctioned for road projects around Delhi. It will immensely improve the air pollution in the national capital generated due to traffic congestion. He laid the foundation stone for development of a six-lane access controlled corridor from Akshardham in East Delhi to the Eastern Peripheral Expressway junction on Baghpat Road.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.