The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Zainab Khan in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The Revenue Department of the Finance Ministry has imposed a five year anti-dumping duty on Sodium Nitate imports from China, based on recommendations of Directorate General of Antidumping and Allied Duties.
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Israel Aerospace Industries signed a Rs. 17,000 crore deal for producing medium range surface to air missile (MRSAM) system for the Indian Army by 2020. It is a land-based version of long range surface to air missile (LRSAM) of the Indian Navy and will have a strike range of up to 70 km.
- The Banking Regulation (Amendment) Act, 2017 has been notified by the Union Government after it was approved by the Parliament. It amended the 1949 Act by adding provisions for handling cases related to stressed assets or non-performing assets of banks.
- Justice Dipak Misra has been sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India and will have a tenure of 14 months. He succeeds Chief Justice J S Khehar and will be the third person from Odisha to be appointed as the CJI.
- The country’s first Videsh Bhavan was launched by the Union Ministry of External Affairs at the Bandra Kurla Complex in Mumbai, Maharashtra. This was done by assimilating all Regional Passport offices and allied departments under a single roof.
- The Indian Commodity Exchange has launched the world’s first diamond futures contracts to provide exporters with a hedging tool.
- The Ocean Forecasting system for the Indian Ocean countries of Comoros, Madagascar and Mozambique was inaugurated by the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) of the Ministry of Earth Sciences. The forecast and early warning information on winds, high wave, currents, tides, sub-surface ocean conditions will cater to users like coastal population, fishermen, tourism sector, etc.
- WINDY (Waves and Instabilities from a Neutral Dynamo), a NASA rocket mission will form night-time white artificial clouds to study a phenomenon that occurs in the ionosphere, a layer of charged particles in the upper atmosphere.
- Nozomi Okuhara from Japan defeated PV Sindhu to claim the BWF World Championships held in Glasgow, Scotland.
- Dara Khosrowshahi was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Uber Technologies Inc. and will be succeeding Travis Kalanick, the co-founder of Uber who was expelled as CEO.
- Lewis Hamilton won the 2017 Belgian Grand Prix of Formula One. Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo came in second and third in the race.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the launching of a 15-day long campaign called ‘Cleanliness is Service’ ahead of Gandhi Jayanti on 2nd October.
1) The Revenue Department of the Finance Ministry has imposed a five year anti-dumping duty on Sodium Nitate imports from which country?
2) The Banking Regulation (Amendment) Act, 2017 has been notified by the Union Government after it was approved by the Parliament. It amends the Banking Regulation Act of which year?
3) Justice Dipak Misra has been sworn in as the ____ Chief Justice of India.
4) Where has the country's first Videsh Bhavan been launched?
5) To which country does Nozomi Okuhara belong?
6) Dara Khosrowshahi was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of which company?
7) Who won the 2017 Belgian Grand Prix?