The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- India has signed a Letter of Intent (LoI) with Norway towards cooperation in the health sector through the Norway India Partnership Initiative (NIPI) for three years beginning from 2018.
- An expert committee headed by TK Viswanathan to deliberate upon cyber-crimes, especially online hate speech, has submitted its report to the Union Home Ministry. The committee was set up after the Supreme Court struck down Section 66A of the Information Technology (IT) Act, 2000 in Shreya Singhal vs. Union of India.
- According to the latest Sample Registration Bulletin (SRS), India has registered a significant decline of 8% in Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) in 2016. IMR in India has declined by three points from 37 per 1000 live births in 2015 to 34 per 1000 live births in 2016.
- Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has notified new Wetland (Conservation and Management) Rules 2017 to prohibit a range of harmful activities in wetlands. The new rules will replace earlier rules which were notified in 2010.
- Gujarat will become the first big state to use Electronic Voting Machine (EVMs) equipped with Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) in coming Assembly elections to make the election process more transparent and efficient.
- The World Maritime Day (WMD) is observed every year on September 28 to highlight the importance of shipping safety, maritime security and marine environment and to appreciate the maritime industry. The theme for 2017 was ‘Connecting Ships, Ports and People’.