The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) introduced value-added tax (VAT). These are the first two countries in the Gulf which have introduced the VAT system. The 5% levy is being applied to the majority of goods and services.
- Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi inaugurated an online portal called NARI in New Delhi for the empowerment of women. The portal will provide wo
men with easy access to information on government schemes and initiatives for women.The first draft of National Register of Citizens (NRC) containing the first batch of 19 million names of genuine Indian citizens in compliance with the Supreme Court ‘s orders was released in Assam. Registrar General of India Sailesh, released the document.
The Assamese and Manipuri languageversions of Prime Minister’s Official website- www.pmindia.gov.in were launched. Now the PM INDIA website is available in 11 regional languages namely Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil and Telugu in addition to English and Hindi.
- Vijay Keshav Gokhale has been appointed the foreign secretary of India. He has succeeded S Jaishankar.
- Pankaj Jain, Joint Secretary in the Department of Financial Services (DFS), has taken up the role of Managing Director of India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL).
- Indian golfer Shiv Kapur won the Royal Cup at Pattaya, which is his third Asian Tour title of 2017.