The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- The Union Cabinet has approved amendments to the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012. The amendments are proposed by the Ministry of Women and Child Development. POSCO is a gender-neutral law protects both boys and girls under the age of 18. The amendments extend the punishment for aggravated penetrative sexual assault from a minimum of 10 years to a minimum of 20 years, up to a maximum of life imprisonment and even the death penalty.
- A postal stamp dedicated to Nabin Chandra Das, inventor of Rosogolla was launched on the inaugural day of the three-day festival, Bagbazar-O-Rosogolla Utsob marking the 150th year of its invention. The statue of Nabin Chandra Das was also unveiled during the inaugural programme.
- The proposal for the implementation of Mahila Police Volunteer Scheme has been approved by the union government. Haryana was the first state to adopt the initiative of Mahila Police Volunteer under the Nirbhaya Fund during the financial year 2016-17. A Mahila Police Volunteer could be any woman who is socially and voluntarily committed towards empowerment of women and girls, willing to raise her voice against gender-based violence and support the police in creating a gender just society free from violence.
- The Prime Minister laid the foundation stone of medical College in Ghazipur on December 29, 2018 in the presence of Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. The Prime Minister dedicated the 6th International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), South Asia Regional Center (ISARC) to the nation. The Institute is built at the campus of National Seed Research and Training Center (NSRTC) in Varanasi. He also released a commemorative postal stamp on the Maharaja Suheldeo.
- The Minister of State (I/C) for Tourism K J Alphons handed over a Memorandum of Understanding to Resbird Technologies under the ‘Adopt a Heritage’ project for the development of a mobile audio guide application for five iconic sites at a function in New Delhi on December 27, 2018. The five iconic sites are: Rajasthan–Amer Fort, Assam–Kaziranga, Goa–Colva Beach, Kerala–Kumarakom and Bihar-Mahabodhi Temple.
- The Union Cabinet was apprised of Framework Agreement between India and Sao Tome & Principe on Cooperation in the Exploration and Uses of Outer Space for Peaceful Purposes. The Framework Agreement was signed in New Delhi on September 7, 2018. It would lead to develop a host of joint activities in the field of application of space technologies for the benefit of humanity.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved increase in the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for Fair Average Quality (FAQ) of “Milling Copra” to Rs 9521 per quintal for 2019 season from Rs 7511 per quintal in 2018. The MSP of “Ball Copra” was increased to Rs 9920 per quintal for 2019 season from Rs 7750 per quintal in 2018. The MSP of Copra is expected to ensure appropriate minimum prices to the farmers and step up investment in Coconut cultivation.
- The Chamba superintendent of police was conferred the ‘Champion of Change’ award by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu for her exemplary administrative work. The award ceremony was held in Delhi on December 26, 2018. Chamba SP Monika Bhutunguru was conferred one of the most prestigious award by the vice president at Vigyan Bhawan for her immense contribution, exemplary work and bringing a significant change in the district.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced Rs 4,500 crore of financial assistance to Bhutan for its 12th five-year plan after holding wide-ranging talks with his Bhutanese counterpart Dr. Lotay Tshering. The new five-year plan of Bhutan began this year and will continue till 2022. Hydropower cooperation with Bhutan is a key aspect of bilateral ties and that work on the Mangdechhu project will soon be completed.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.