The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Bajrang Punia won gold in the freestyle wrestling 65kg category and Pooja Dhanda claimed gold in the 59kg category at the Dan Kolov-Nikola Petrov wrestling in Ruse, Bulgaria. Sakshi Malik and Vinesh Phogat claimed silver medals in the Women’s 65kg and 53 kg category respectively. Sandeep Tomar claimed silver medal in the Men’s 61kg category. The Wrestling event is named after Bulgarian wrestler Doncho Kolеv Danev better known by the ring name Dan Kolov. He was the first European freestyle wrestling champion from Bulgaria.
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has designated Hamza bin Laden, the son of slain al Qaida chief Osama bin Laden, under its sanctions list by describing him as being seen as the “most probable successor” of the group’s current leader Aiman al-Zawahiri. The sanctions would result in travel ban, assets freeze and an arms embargo.
- The Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) has bagged the SKOCH Award, 2018 for its remarkable achievements in the field of disaster management. The award was presented at the 56th SKOCH Summit held at New Delhi. The SKOCH Award is being presented since 2003 to individuals and institutions having done meritorious works in the field of governance, finance, banking, disaster management, technology, corporate citizenship, economics and inclusive growth by Skoch Group.
- Aerospace scientist and Chief of the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO), G Satheesh Reddy has been conferred the Missile Systems Award 2019 by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. Satheesh Reddy shares the award with Rondell J. Wilson, a former Principal Engineering Fellow of Raytheon Missile Systems. Satheesh Reddy is the Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister and is considered the architect of advanced missile technologies and smart guided weapons technologies in India.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for AK-47 rifles manufacturing unit at Amethi of Uttar Pradesh that is a joint venture between India and Russia. This unit envisions full localisation of production over a period of time. The world-famous Kalashnikov assault rifles of the newest 200 series would be manufactured in this unit.
- Indian Air Force Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman has been chosen for the first Bhagwan Mahavir Ahimsa Puraskar constituted by the Akhil Bharatiya Digambar Jain Mahasamiti and will be presented the award on April 17 the Mahavir Jayanti. Abhinandan Varthaman, a wing-commander in the Indian Air Force shot into limelight in aftermath of the Pulwama terror attack.
- World Wildlife Day 2019 was observed on March 3rd with the theme ‘Life below water: for people and planet’ to complement the Goal 14 of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG14) which aims to “conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.” World Wildlife Day complements the efforts under the Sustainable Development Goal #15 which focuses on halting biodiversity loss. The first World Wildlife Day was observed in 2014.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.