The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- Jacques Dubochet, Joachim Frank and Richard Henderson have been selected for the 2017 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. They were awarded for developing cryo-electron microscopy for the high resolution structure determination of biomolecules in solution.
- India and Djibouti have signed an agreement to establish regular Foreign Office-level bilateral consultations between both countries.
- Ganga Prasad was sworn in as the 17th Governor of Meghalaya. His oath of office and secrecy was administered by Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court Justice Dinesh Maheshwari.
- Rajnish Kumar has been appointed as the new chairman of State Bank of India (SBI). He is the 25th chairman of the Bank and succeeds Arundhati Bhattacharya who retired from the service.
- The Union Ministry of Tourism has launched nationwide ‘Paryatan Parv’ to showcase cultural diversity of country and reinforce the principle of ‘Tourism for All’. The fest was inaugurated at Humayun’s Tomb and will be held across the country from the 5th to 25th October 2017.
- The Government has established a committee for proper management of water resources in North Eastern Region (NER) under Chairmanship of Rajiv Kumar, Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog.
- The Union Cabinet has approved proposal of Union Ministry of Shipping to rename of Kandla Port in Gujarat as Deendayal Port, Kandla.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Golden Jubilee Year Celebrations (50 years) of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) in New Delhi.