The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- President Ram Nath Kovind laid down the foundation stone for Link-4 Saurashtra Narmada Avataran Irrigation(SAUNI) Scheme in Rajkot district.
- Five banks of the BRICS countries Bank Cooperation Mechanism have agreed to establish credit lines in the national currencies and cooperate on credit ratings. The agreement was signed ahead of 9th edition of BRICS summit happening at Xiamen, China.
- UNESCO announced the winners of 2017 International Literary Prizes. The Confucius Prize has been given to AudITICoProgram of Colombia, The Citizens Foundation of Pakistan and FunDza of South Africa. The King Sejong Literary Prize has been given to Centre for the Study of Learning & Performance and The We Love Reading Organisation of Jordan.
- Former Indian Captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the first wicketkeeper to have 100 stumpings in ODI cricket surpassing the record of Kumara Sangakkara who h
- as 99.
- North Korea claimed to have successfully tested an hyderogen bomb which can be placed on an intercontinental ballistic missile. The test was condoned worldwide with South Korea and Japan even calling for United Nations sanctions.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi held the third major cabinet reshuffle which saw change of 32 ministers and selection of 9 new ministers. The most important of them all is the elevation of Nirmala Sitharaman as the Defence Minister making her first woman after Indira Gandhi to hold the portfolio. Piyush Goyal was allotted the additional portfolio of Minster of Railways.
- The New Development Bank agreed to forward 1.5 million USD worth loans for sustainable development in China, India and Russia. The Board of Directors approved four infrastructure and sustainable development project in three countries.
- Hockey India sacked head coach of Indian men’s hockey team Roelant Oltmans. Oltmans is the sixth Indian coach to be sacked in the last 10 years. Unsatisfactory performance of the team was cited as the official reason behind the move.