The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Earth Sciences in association with Vijnana Bharati at Indira Gandhi Pratishthan, Lucknow organised the fourth India International Science Festival 2018 (IISF 2018) in Lucknow, UP from October 5 to 8, 2018. This is for first time IISF being organized in Uttar Pradesh. With the theme “Science for Transformation“, it was inaugurated byb Ram Nath Kovind. The 1st IISF was held at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) New Delhi in December, 2015.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has designated R N Ravi, Chairman of Joint Intelligence Committee as Deputy National Security Advisor (Internal Affairs). He will be third deputy NSA to National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval after former Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) chief, Rajinder Khanna and serving diplomat Pankaj Saran. Ravi is 1976-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of the Kerala cadre. NSA is the chief executive of National Security Council (NSC) and primary advisor to Prime Minister on national and international security and oversees strategic issues.
- The second Global Renewable Energy Investment Meeting and Expo (REINVEST- 2018) was organised by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy in Noida from October 3 to 5, 2018. It was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the presence of Secretary General of United Nations Antonio Guterres. 2nd Global RE-INVEST also hosted First Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA) and Meeting of the Energy Ministers of IORA countries. The first REIVEST was organised in 2015.
- The maiden joint exercise of Coast Guards of India and Vietnam “Sahyog HOP TAC -2018” was held in the Bay of Bengal off the Chennai coast, Tamil Nadu. It was aimed at strengthening the working level relationship between coast guards of both navies. It encompassed scenario of hijacking of oil tanker and subsequent rescue of its crew in coordinated anti-piracy joint operation as well as preventive efforts for marine environment protection.
- 21 countries in Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) adopted Delhi Declaration on Renewable Energy in Indian Ocean Region. It was adopted at 2nd IORA Renewable Energy Ministerial Meeting held at 2nd Global Re-Invest India-ISA Partnership Renewable Energy Investor’s Meet & Expo in Greater Noida. Delhi Declaration on Renewable Energy calls for promotion of technology development and transfer, strengthening of public private partnerships (PPP) in renewable energy and collaboration among IORA member states and member nations of International Solar Alliance (ISA). IORA is international organisation consisting of coastal states bordering Indian Ocean, established in 1997 to promote cooperation in IOR. It comprises 21 member states (including India) and 7 dialogue partners.
- Union Ministry of Civil Aviation has released policy on biometric based digital processing of passengers at airports called Digi Yatra. The initiative seeks to promote paperless and hassle-free air travel. It will be operational by end of February, 2019 at Bengaluru and Hyderabad airports. Under it, there will be one-time verification at departure airport while travelling for first time using ID. After successful verification, facial recognition biometric will be captured and stored in Digi Yatra ID. With this initiative, ticket booking, airport entry and boarding pass security check-in will be made digital.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently conferred Swachh Survekshan Grameen Awards 2018. Haryana was ranked as best State, Satara District of Maharashtra was ranked as best district. Uttar Pradesh was rewarded for maximum citizens’ participation. The awards were given at concluding session of Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention at Rahtrapati Bhawan Cultural Centre.
- The 19th India-Russia Annual Bilateral Summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin was held on October 5, 2018. They signed a USD 5.43 billion deal for India to procure the S-400 Triumph missile system from Russia that can engage up to 36 targets at a time and simultaneously launch 72 missiles. Putin is on his two-day visit to India.
- India-Russia cooperation is based on the 1971 Treaty of Peace, Friendship and Cooperation between the India and Russia; 1993 Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation; 2000 Declaration on Strategic Partnership; and 2010 Joint Statement, elevating the Partnership to a Special and Privileged Strategic Partnership.
- Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi on October 3, 2018 became the first person to be stripped of the honorary Canadian citizenship for her role in gross human rights violations against the Rohingya people. The Canadian Senate formally revoked the symbolic honour that was bestowed on Suu Kyi in 2007. Despite the international criticism and revoking of honorary Canadian citizenship, Suu Kyi will retain her Nobel Peace Prize she won in 1991 for campaigning for democracy.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.