The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Aparajita Kaul in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- UNESCO has inscribed ‘Kumbh Mela’ on theRepresentative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. The decision was taken during the 12th session of the Intergovernmental Committee on Intangible Cultural Heritage at Jeju in South Korea.
- Time magazine has named ‘the silence breakers’ as its Person of the Year for 2017. It was referring to those individuals, mostly women, who came forward this year with #MeToo movement to publicly expose sexual harassment.
- Australia’s parliament has legislated for marriage equality, passing a bill almost unanimously to allow two people, regardless of sex, to marry.
- The government has set up a high-level committee headed by NITI Aayog chief executive Amitabh Kant to address the problem of stressed assets in India’s power sector.
- The National Commission for Minorities (NCM) has set up three member committee to study the matter to give minority status to Hindus in 8 states where their population is less than 50%. The committee will be headed by George Kurien, NCM’s Vice-chairman.
- Armed Forces Flag Day is being observed throughout the country on 7 December to honor the martyrs and the men in uniform who valiantly fought on our borders to safeguard the country’s honor.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the BR Ambedkar International Centre in New Delhi.
- India’s largest digital bank Paytm Payments Bank is the only bank providing zero balance accounts and zero charges on digital transactions. The bank has unveiled ‘Paytm Ka ATM’ outlets that allows customers to open Saving Accounts and deposit/withdraw money from their bank accounts. In the first phase, Paytm has started with 3,000 ‘Paytm Ka ATM’ points.