The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Japanese Architect Arata Isozaki has received the Pritzker Prize 2019. He is the 46th laureate and eighth architect from Japan to win the Pritzker Prize. Pritzker Prize is an annual award to honour a living architect or architects. The award constituted by Pritzker family of Chicago through their Hyatt Foundation in 1979 is often referred to as “architecture’s Nobel” and “the profession’s highest honour.”
- The Prime Minister’s Science, Technology and Innovation Council (PM-STIAC) has identified nine national missions to address major scientific challenges to ensure India’s sustainable development. The nine missions are Natural Language Translation, Quantum Frontier, Artificial Intelligence, National Biodiversity Mission, Electric Vehicles, BioScience for Human Health, Waste to Wealth, Deep Ocean Exploration and Agnii.
- The Ministry of Personnel has appointed the Director, Physics Group in BARC and Director, Saha Institute Institute of Nuclear Physics, Ajit Kumar Mohanty, as Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre for the period of three years. The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) previously known as AEET, is India’s premier nuclear research facility headquartered in Trombay, Mumbai, Maharashtra. The Atomic Energy Establishment, Trombay (AEET) was established by the government of India in 1954.
- The Chief Minister of West Bengal Mamata Banerjee has unveiled a new scheme Yuvashree Plan II or Yuvashree Arpan to encourage entrepreneurship among youth. Under the scheme around fifty thousand Youths who have passed out of ITI or other polytechnic institutes will be eligible to get financial support of Rs One Lakh from the state MSME department to set up their own business initiatives.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and France Space Agency CNES have agreed to collaborate on Maritime Surveillance and Training for Gaganyaan project. ISRO and CNES will build a constellation of satellites for maritime surveillance intended to identify and track ships in the Indian Ocean. ISRO and CNES have signed an agreement to train Indian Scientists for the ‘Gaganyaan’ project.
- Tech giant Google has unveiled a new app ‘Bolo’ that aims to help children in primary school learn to read in Hindi and English. The app uses Google’s speech recognition and text-to-speech technology. Through an animated character Diya, the app encourages children to read stories aloud.
- The Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change has amended the Hazardous and other Wastes (Management and Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2016 to completely ban the import of solid plastic waste. The ban on the import of plastics is in lines with the principles of sustainable development.
- The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has reduced the world economic growth forecasts for the year 2019. OECD has cut its 2019 forecast for global economic growth to 3.3% for the current year, down from 3.5% it predicted earlier. OECD’s forecasts are more downbeat than the IMF’s for many economies, particularly the euro region and the U.K.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.