The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi reached Harsil near the India-China border in Uttarakhand to celebrate Diwali with Army and ITBP personnel. Harshil is a cantonment area situated at a height of 7,860 feet close to the India-China border in Uttarkashi district. Modi has been visiting soldiers on Diwali ever since he was the Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- The West Bengal government has decided to observe ‘Rosogolla Day’ on November 14, to commemorate the first anniversary of the State’s famous sweet getting Geographical Indication (GI) tag as ‘Bengal’s Rosogolla’. Different varieties of rosogollas would be showcased in the stalls of the ‘Mishti Hub’ (sweetmeat hub), set up in one part of the Eco Park in New Town area. The GI tag is a sign that identifies a product as originating from a particular place.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on November 6, 2018 announced that Faizabad district would henceforth be known as Ayodhya. Later, on the banks of the Sarayu River, a new world record was also set with over three lakh “diya” (earthen lamps) lit up simultaneously. Earlier he had renamed Allahabad to Prayagraj.
- Since the bifurcation of the State on June 2, 2014, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have had a common high court situated at Hyderabad. From January 1, the State of Andhra Pradesh will have a separate high court as the Supreme Court has given the green signal for issuing the notification to this effect. It will be the 25th high court in the country and will initially function from a temporary structure till the permanent building comes up in the ambitious Justice City complex in the State’s capital Amaravati.
- The Collegium headed by CJI Ranjan Gogoi has recommended Supreme Court Secretary General Ravindra Maithani’s name for elevation as a judge of the Uttarakhand High Court. Maithani’s name was cleared along with that of two other judicial officers Narayan Singh Dhanik and Ramesh Chandra Khulbe.
- Mizoram Speaker Hiphei resigned from his post from the House as well as the Congress. He would join the BJP, just three weeks ahead of the Assembly elections. The seven-time Congress legislator submitted his resignation letter to Deputy Speaker R. Lalrinawma who accepted it. He is the fifth Congress MLA to resign from the 40-member House since September 2018.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.