The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- India Blue has won 2017-18 Duleep Trophy by defeating defending champion India Red by an innings and 187 runs in the final match played at NPR College ground in Dindigul, Tamil Nadu. Instituted in 1961-62 by BCCI, it is a domestic first-class cricket tournament played between teams representing geographical zones of India. It is named after Kumar Shri Duleepsinhji of Nawanagar.
- India and Czech Republic have signed five agreements on defence, scientific and industrial research, laser technology, agriculture and diplomatic visa waiver. President Kovind visited Czech Republic on final leg of his state visit to three European nations – Cyprus, Bulgaria and Czech Republic.
- India and United States will conduct their annual combat exercise “Yudh Abhyas” at Chaubatia in Uttarakhand from 16 to 29 September, 2018. The aim of the fourteenth edition of exercise will be to enhance interoperability between armies and counter-terror cooperation. It is the fourth time exercise will be conducted at Chaubattia in Uttarakhand. It was started in 2004 under US Army Pacific Partnership Program.
- State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has made oil and gas discoveries in Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal that may potentially open up two new sedimentary basins in country. They are category-III basins, having hydrocarbon and are considered geologically prospective for exploration. India has 26 sedimentary basins, of which only seven category-I basins have commercial production of oil and gas.
- According to recent report, Pakistan could become world’s 5th largest nuclear weapons state after Russia, United States, France and China in terms of possession of total nuclear warheads. Pakistan currently has 140 to 150 nuclear warheads and its stockpile is expected to increase to 220 to 250 by 2025 if its current proliferation trend continues.
- The Odisha State Assembly has passed resolution seeking creation of Legislative Council (Vidhan Parishad or second house of legislature). The resolution now will be sent to Central Government (Union cabinet) for approval, following which it will be tabled in both houses of the Parliament. Thereafter, presidential assent is required to make it Act. The proposed Council will have 49 members (one-third size of state assembly).
- The 52nd International Literacy Day was celebrated across the world on September 8, 2018 with an aim to highlight improvements in world literacy rates, and reflect on the existing literacy challenges. This year’s theme ‘Literacy and skills development’ explores integrated approaches that simultaneously support the development of literacy and skills, to ultimately improve people’s lives and contribute to equitable and sustainable societies. The two-day special event at UNESCO’s headquarters, Paris also saw the hosting of the 2018 UNESCO International Literacy Prize awards ceremony. The Literacy Prizes consists of five prizes.
- The Union Government has appointed former Reserve Bank of India governor Bimal Jalan as the head of the panel that has been tasked with selecting India’s next chief economic advisor (CEA). The other members of the panel include secretary of the department of personnel and training C Chandramouli and economic affairs secretary Subhash Chandra Garg. The panel will screen the applications received and conduct interviews. The move comes two months after the government sought applications for the post after previous CEA Arvind Subramanian resigned from office.
- Naomi Osaka defeated Serena Williams by 6-2, 6-4 to become the first player from Japan to win major singles title. The 2018 US Open is the 138th edition of tennis’ US Open and the fourth and final Grand Slam event of the year. Serena owns 23 Grand slams titles.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.