The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to Rreceive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- The Union Cabinet approved establishment of Second National Judicial Pay Commission (SNJPC) for subordinate judiciary in country. It will be headed by former Judge of Supreme Court, Justice (Retd) J P. Venkatrama Reddi.
- The Union Cabinet approved signing of Joint Interpretative Declaration (JID) between India and Colombia regarding existing Agreement for Promotion and Protection of Investments.
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has named Debjani Ghosh its new president-designate. She will succeed R Chandrashekhar after his tenure ends in March 2018. She will be the organisation’s first female president.
The 4th Annual Ministerial Dialogue (AMD) was held between Canada and India in New Delhi recently. The Indian delegation was led by the Commerce and Industry Minister, Shri Suresh Prabhu.
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Economic Leaders’ Meeting was held in Da Nang, Vietnam. The theme of this meeting was ‘Creating New Dynamism, Fostering a Shared Future’. Leaders of 21 Pacific Rim countries attended this meeting.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development would be celebrating the Child Rights Week by hosting ‘Hausala 2017’ festival from 16-20 November 2017 as the nation celebrates Children’s Day on 14th November.
- India will soon have the first Cartoon Network-branded theme park. To be launched in the first quarter of 2019 on a budget of Rs 450 crore, the amusement park will be located at Surat, in Gujarat. Turner International India, which owns the Cartoon Network brand, has entered into a brand partnership with Gujarat based real estate, entertainment and hospitality group Rajgreen for the launch of a 61,000 square meter property Amaazia, in Surat.
- A report by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) has found that the air quality of holy city Varanasi is most polluted among the 42 cities monitored recently. Varanasi’s Air Quality Index (AQI) was at an alarming 491, followed by Gurugram at 480, Delhi at 468, Lucknow at 462 and Kanpur at 461.
- India is the sixth most vulnerable country in the world in terms of facing extreme weather events, according to the report released by the Germanwatch.
- The Supreme Court had appointed former football captain Bhaskar Ganguly as ombudsman, according to the All India Football Federation (AIFF). As per the AIFF, the apex court also appointed S Y Quraishi, former Chief Election Commissioner of India, as the ombudsmen to formulate the AIFF Constitution.
- Bharat Khandare became the first India-born fighter to be signed by Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) as the Mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter.