The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- Agni-5, indigenously developed long-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile was successfully test fired successfully from Abdul Kalam Wheeler Island, Odisha. t was overall fifth developmental trial test of the long-range missile carried out by Strategic Forces Command of Indian Army to check its operational readiness.
- Under its newly created Cyber Information and Security(CIS) Division, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has decided to set up Cyber Warrior Police Force (CWPF) and Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) to tackle internet-related crimes such as cyber threats, child pornography and online stalking.
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented Sangeet Natak Akademi’s Fellowships (Akademi Ratna) and Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) for the year 2016 at function held at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
- India was represented by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Agriculture & Farmers Welfare Gajendra Singh Shekhawat at the 10th edition of Global Forum for Food & Agriculture held in Berlin, Germany from 18th -20th January 2018. The theme of this year’s event is “Shaping the future of livestock – sustainably, responsibly, efficiently”.
- China has constructed the Xian smog tower, an experimental air purifying tower touted to be the world’s biggest at height of over 100 meters (328 feet) in an attempt to fight air pollution. It is undergoing testing by researchers at Institute of Earth Environment at Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Maharashtra became first state in country to unveil Public Cloud Policy that virtually mandates state government departments to shift their data storage onto cloud. Earlier in October 2017, State Government had formed four-member committee to draft policy framework on cloud usage, which had submitted a policy document that’s being now adopted as public cloud policy.
- Drug price regulator National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has fixed retail price for 30 drug formulations, including those used for treatment of diabetes, bacterial infections and high blood pressure. The prices were fixed/revised under Drugs (Prices Control) Order (DPCO), 2013.
- iCREATE facility was recently inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu at Deo Dholera Village in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. iCreate aims to develop an ecosystem in India to generate quality entrepreneurs.
- Maharashtra Government has approved 1% reservation for orphans in government jobs d education for orphans in the state under general category. Decision in this regard was taken at state Cabinet meeting Chaired by Devendra Fadnavis.