The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- India was ranked 42nd among 165 independent states on annual 2017 Global Democracy Index (GDI) released by UK-based company, Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU). India’s rank has slipped from 32nd in 2016 GDI and its overall score dropped 0.58 points from 7.81 to 7.23. Moreover, India was classified as a flawed democracy in 2017 GDI.
- The first edition of Khelo India School Games (KISG) was inaugurated by prime minister Narendra Modi open at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in New Delhi. The first KISG were held under the Khelo India Programme to highlight India’s young sporting talent and showcase India’s sports potential.
- State-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd for first time has successfully flown home-made 5.8-tonne Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) with its own automatic flight control system for 20 minutes.
- Sahitya Akademi Bhasha Samman award was conferred on Magahi writer Shesh Anand Madhukar. He is second writer of Magahi language to be given this award.
- Indian Railways has decided to set up of a massive rail coach factory in Latur district i.e. in Marathwada region of Maharashtra. It will help to generate employment opportunities and bring economic development in Marathwada region which is one of the most Backward Parts of Maharashtra.
- Ghodazari in Chandrapur district has been approved as a new wildlife sanctuary in Maharashtra by the state government. The formation of this wildlife sanctuary will help provide employment opportunities to the youths from 59 villages on the fringes.
- Distinguished scientist Dinesh Srivastava took over as Chief Executive of Nuclear Fuel Complex (NFC). He has succeeded G Kalyanakrishnan who retired on superannuation. Srivastava will also be Chairman of NFC board.
- Punjab Government via the Department of Agriculture has issued directions to discontinue the sale of 20 pesticides (insecticides) including Endosulfan harmful to health of humans and environment with immediate effect.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed senior bureaucrat Neelam Kapoor as Director General (DG) of the Sports Authority of India (SAI). ACC was headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.