The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- Kapu Reservation Bill, 2017 has been passed unanimously by the Andhra Pradesh legislative Assembly to provide 5% quota in education and employment to the Kapu Community in in Backward Classes list. With the quota for Kapus, the total reservation in state goes up to 55%, beyond 50% cap set by Supreme Court for reservations. The bill will be sent to Centre for its consent and State government is also going to request Centre to include this reservation in the 9th Schedule.
- India was re-elected to Council of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) at an assembly of body at its headquarters in London by securing second-highest 144 number of votes from member-countries. India was elected under category B that represents nations with largest interests in international sea borne trade.
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated 18th edition of the Hornbill Festival at the Naga Heritage Village in Kisama, Nagaland. The festival coincided with 54th statehood day of Nagaland.
- In the first meeting of Working Group BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) member countries discussed draft text of BIMSTEC Coastal Shipping Agreement drafted by Ministry of Shipping, Government of India. It details modalities for promoting coastal shipping in region.
- A certificate of commendation was awarded to India for its effort to combat illegal wildlife trade by Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). The award was given to Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) for its efforts in conducting and coordinating species-specific wildlife enforcement operation, codenamed ‘Operation Save Kurma’.
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has entered into 2 Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreements (APAs) with Netherlands in November 2017 for the first time ever. These two APAs pertain to Electronics and Technology sectors of economy. It also covers international transactions that include Distribution, Provision of Business Support Services, Provision of Marketing Support Services etc.
- National Strategic Plan 2017-24 was launched by Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare aimed at eradicating HIV/AIDS by 2030 and Mission SAMPARK o trace those who are Left to Follow Up and are to be brought under Antiretroviral therapy (ART) services on the occasion of World AIDS Day (1st December).