The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief! Also, check out our test series!
- Wassenaar Arrangement (WA), an elite expert control regime has decided to admit India as its new member and 42nd participating state. The decision was taken at two-day plenary meeting of grouping in Vienna, Austria. Wassenaar Arrangement on Export Controls for Conventional Arms and Dual-Use Goods and Technologies, commonly known as the Wassenaar Arrangement elite club of countries subscribing arms controls similar to NSG and MTCR.
- The Intergovernmental Committee for Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage under UNESCO has inscribed ´KumbhMela´ on UNESCO’s Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. The decision was undertaken after submission from member countries at 12th session of Committee held at Jeju, South Korea. KumbhMela is the 14th intangible cultural heritage from India to be listed in UNESCO’s list.
- The First International Conference on Sports Medicine and Sports Sciences SAICON 2017 was inaugurated in New Delhi by the Minister of State (I/C) Youth Affairs and Sports Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore.
- Kacheguda Railway Station in Hyderabad under the South Central Railway (SCR) has earned the unique distinction of being the first Energy Efficient ‘A1 Category’ Railway Station on Indian Railways. The station has achieved 100% energy efficiency by replacing 1,312 conventional lights with light-emitting diode (LED) lighting, among other steps.
- The Kerala government lead by the Left Democratic Front (LDF) has decided to raise the legal drinking age from 21 to 23 years.
President of USA Donald Trump has announced that the US now recognizes Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, overturning decades of official US policy. The fate of the ancient city is one of the thorniest issues between Israel and the Palestinians. Israel called Donald Trump’s move “historic” but there has been sharp international criticism. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas called Donald Trump’s announcement “deplorable”.
The waste management system being implemented in Kerala’s coastal town of Alappuzha has been recognized by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) as one of the five models across the world for fighting the pollution menace.
Nagpur’s Kanchanmala Pande created history as she became the first Indian to secure pole position at the World Para-Swimming Championship in Mexico.
Cristiano Ronaldo (from Portugal) has won the Ballon d’Or for a fifth time to move level with rival Lionel Messi. Cristiano Ronaldo (from Portugal) has won the Ballon d’Or for a fifth time to move level with rival Lionel Messi.