- Pema Khandu, from the Congress Party has been sworn in as the Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh. He is the 10th Chief Minister and takes over from Nabam Tuki. With this, he has become India’s youngest chief minister. Previously, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister, Akhilesh Yadav, was the youngest at age 43. Pema Khandu is only 37 years old.
- The Lifeline Express, the world’s first hospital on a train, has completed 25 years of service to the poor and underprivileged masses of rural India. It is administered by the Indian Railways, and is also known as the Magic Train of India. It is equipped with state-of-the-art medical facilities and equipment to cater to the needs of rural patients.
- The Union Government has launched the Transforming India Website (www.transformingindia.mygov.in), a repository for sharing the impact of various governance initiatives with citizens in real-time.
- Kerala Bird Atlas, a citizen science project to map the distribution and abundance of birds in Kerala, has been launched in Wayanad. The programme is being coordinated by the Hume Centre for Ecology and Wildlife Biology, a conservation organisation in the district, in association with the Bird Count India and e-bird.
- Vijender Singh won over Australian Kerry Hope to become the WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight champion.
- Amazon’s founder, Jeff Bezos is set to appear in a cameo in Star Trek Beyond. He plays the role of an alien and his name appears in the credits.
The UNESCO has added nine new sites on its World Heritage List, including a medieval Armenian city located in northeast Turkey. Other sites announced include China’s Zuojiang Huashan rock art cultural landscape, Iran’s ancient aqueducts known as Qanat, and India’s archaeological site of Nalanda Mahavihara. A transboundary site located in Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro and Serbia, and heritage sites in Greece, Spain and Gibraltar also made the list.