- India has ranked 110th in the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Index released by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) of the United Nations. The SDG Index is the world’s first comparative study of the Sustainable Development Goals for 149 countries. The list is topped by Sweden.
- The Kerala State Government has constituted a State Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (STAGI) on the lines of the National Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (NTAGI). The Group will advise the State government on the policies and practices to be adopted and implemented under the National Immunisation Programme.
- Ajay Bhushan Pandey has been appointed as the CEO of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). UIDAI was founded in 2009 under the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) regime with former Infosys CEO Nandan Nilekani as its chairman. The organisation is responsible for the Aadhar card – a 12 digit unique number, linked with an individual’s demographic and biometric information.
- An An-32 Indian Air Force aircraft has gone missing over the Bay of Bengal, soon after it took off from an airbase in Chennai. The aircraft was carrying 29 persons, and search missions are underway.
- A film festival to commemorate Mother Teresa’s canonisation will be held in September, in India and in 50 other countries. The Mother Teresa International Film Festival (MTIFF) will be kicked off from Kolkata on August 26 after which it will travel all over the world for the next six months. The Roman Catholic nun, who passed away in 1997 after serving the poor and sick on the streets of Kolkata for 45 years, will be declared a saint on September 4 by Pope Francis in the Vatican City.
- Virat Kohli has become the first Indian cricket captain to hit a double century outside Indian grounds. He beats Mohammad Azharaddin’s score for the highest score by an Indian captain away from home. This is also his maiden double century.
- Facebook announced that it had completed its first successful test of its solar-powered Aquila drone, being developed to deliver internet service to remote areas of the world.
- The World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) has announced that 2016 is set to be the hottest year on record. Global temperatures for the first six months of 2016 broke many records.
- Pakistan has approached the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHCR) in regard to the situation in Kashmir, and asked requested for a fact-finding.