- The Supreme Court, through a bench of Justices Madan B. Lokur and U.U. Lalit, has ruled that every death caused by the armed forces in a disturbed area, must be thoroughly enquired into. The verdict tears down the cloak of secrecy about unaccounted deaths involving security forces in disturbed areas and serves as a judicial precedent to uphold civilian and human rights in sensitive areas under military control.
- Kerala announced a 14.5 per cent “fat tax” on pizzas, burgers, sandwiches and tacos sold through branded outlets, in sync with the World Health Organization’s advocacy of using fiscal tools to promote healthy eating.
- The Union Government has launched Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) portal. It was launched by Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Radha Mohan Singh in New Delhi. The portal aims to provide information and advisory to the farmers and facilitate online monitoring of the KVK activities.
- Grammy-winning Indian musician Ricky Kej is all set to perform for Prime Minister Narendra Modi and state leaders of South Africa at “The Dome” in Johannesburg. Kej will be performing a song about Mahatma Gandhi from his Grammy-winning album Winds of Samsara.
- Pharmaceutical major Cipla has announced plans to set up a biosimilars manufacturing facility in South Africa with an investment of 1.3 billion rand (Rs.597 crore). This will be South Africa’s first biotech manufacturing unit. The announcement was made during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ongoing visit to Africa.
- U.K’s Business Secretary Sajid Javid held talks with Commerce & Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on the possibility of inking a separate U.K.-India Free Trade Agreement (FTA). Mr. Javid also met Tata Steel’s chairman, Cyrus Mistry, and held talks regarding the fate of the company’s assets in the UK.
- An animated biopic of Vincent Van Gogh is soon to be released. The film is called Loving Vincent, and is made entirely out of oil paintings on canvas, seeking to emulate his style of painting with thick brush strokes. The film is directed by a Polish painter and filmmaker, Dorota Kobiela.
- Roger Federer lost the Men’s Wimbledon Semi Final to Milos Raonic of Canada, while Andy Murray beat Tomas Berdych. The Finals will be played on Sunday, between Britain’s Andy Murray and Canadian Milos Raonic. This is Raonic’s first Grand Glam final, and Roger Federer’s first loss at a Wimbledon Semi Final.