The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- International Anti-Corruption Day (IACD) is observed every year across world on December 9 to raise public awareness of corruption and what people can do to fight it. Observance of this day aims to promote and strengthen measures to prevent and combat corruption more efficiently and effectively. It also highlights role of United Nations Convention against Corruption in combating and preventing it. International Anti-Corruption Day was instituted by UNGA by passing resolution 58/4 of October 31, 2003.
- Chief Minister Pema Khandu in presence of Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju inaugurated Shi Yomi, 23rd district of Arunachal Pradesh. It was created by bifurcating West Siang district with its headquarters at Tato. It will have four administrative units. Two more districts Pakke-Kesang and Lepa Rada will be formally inaugurated in the state within taking the total to 25.
- Kerala has become first state in the country to have four international airports with the inauguration of Kannur airport. The other three international airports are Trivandrum International Airport, Cochin International Airport and Calicut International Airport. It is built on a public-private partnership (PPP) model. It is spread across 2,000 acres of area.
- According to World Bank’s Migration and Development Brief, India will retain its position as world’s top recipient of remittances in 2018, receiving a total remittance of $80 billion from its diaspora. India is followed by China ($67 billion). Over the last three years, India registered a significant flow of remittances, from $62.7 billion in 2016 to $65.3 billion 2017. In 2017, remittances constituted 2.7% of India’s GDP.
- The tenth edition of INDRA NAVY maritime exercise between India and Russia will be conducted off Visakhapatnam coast, Andhra Pradesh from December 9-16, 2018. The aim of this exercise is to increase interoperability among the two navies, develop common understanding and procedures for maritime security operations. INDRA NAVY exercise was initiated in 2003.
- The second edition of service specific exercise AVIAINDRA between Indian Air Force and Russian Federation Aerospace Force (RFSAF) was held at Air Force Station Jodhpur, Rajasthan. The inaugural IAF-RFSAF Ex AVIAINDRA was conducted in 2014 and since then it is conducted bi-annually (twice a year) in both countries. The aim of this exercise is focused towards anti-terrorist operations in bi-lateral scenario.
- India has the highest number of ‘stunted’ children in the world and nearly a third of all stunted children worldwide are to be found in India as per the recently released WHO’s Global Nutrition Report, 2018. The Global Nutrition Report came into existence following the first Nutrition for Growth Initiative Summit (N4G) in 2013. Stunting among children aged under five in the world has fallen from 32.6 per cent in 2000 to 22.2 per cent in 2017. India is also the country with the highest number (25.5 million) of children who are ‘wasted’.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.