The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Renowned French scholar Jawahar Lal Sarin was presented with France’s highest civilian honour Chevalier de la Lgion d’Honneur in recognition of his outstanding contribution to enhancing Indo-French cultural cooperation and promoting French language. Jawahar Lal Sarin is president of Alliance franaise de Delhi’s governing body. Lgion d’Honneur was instituted in 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte. Other Indians who were also awarded are Amartya Sen, Ravi Shankar, Zubin Mehta, Lata Mangeshkar, JRD Tata and Ratan Tata among others.
- National Legal Services Day (NLSD) is observed every year in India on 9th November to spread awareness for ensuring reasonable fair and justice procedure for all citizens. The aim of celebrating this day is to offer free of charge, proficient and legal services to the people belonging to weaker sections of society. On this day, Lok Adalats are organized across the country to make safe the legal system operations and encourages righteousness of people on the equal. The day was started by Supreme Court of India in 1995.
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed three senior (1982-batch) IRS officers K Dash, Akhilesh Ranjan and Neena Kumar as new members of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). CBDT is nodal policy-making body of Income Tax (IT) department under Finance Ministry which was established under The Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963. It has five members and a chairman. The current chairman of the board is Sushil Chandra.
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has appointed former IAS officer of the Tamil Nadu cadre Ashok Kumar Gupta as Chairperson of Competition Commission of India (CCI). He replaces acting chairperson Sudhir Mital. CCI is quasi-judicial statutory body established in October 2003 under The Competition Act, 2002. It functions under Ministry of Cooperate Affairs.
- India and Singapore will hold 25th joint naval exercise SIMBEX, acronym for Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise from November 10 to 21 in India off Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal. SIMBEX 2018 will mark silver jubilee of exercise and will be largest edition since 1994 in terms of scale and complexity.
- The World Science Day for Peace and Development was observed on November 10, 2018 across the world. The day highlights the significant role of science in society and the need to engage public in debates on emerging scientific issues. The theme of 2018 World Science Day for Peace and Development was “Science, a Human Right“. The theme moves along the celebration of the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (Article 27). The day established in 1999.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Italy for training and education in the fields of Labour and Employment. The major impact of the MoU would be up-gradation of technical capacities of both the institutions in responding to the challenges emanating from transformations in the world of work.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.