The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- The Government of India is going to invest 15,000 crore rupees to increase the capacity of the Panipat refinery in Haryana to 25 million tonnes. The Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) will also set up a bio-ethanol plant in Panipat to generate alternative fuel from agricultural residue which will boost the agricultural sector.
- The International Day of the Girl Child was observed across the world on 11th October to recognize the rights of girls and the unique challenges every girl faces around the world. The theme for this year was ‘Girls’ Progress = Goals’ Progress: What Counts for Girls.’
- Himansh, a high altitude glaciological research station in the Himalayas began functioning above 13,500 feet (4000 metres) in a remote region in Spiti, Himachal Pradesh. Here, researchers will undertake surveys that would digitize glacier motion and snow cover variations with exceptional precision.
- The 4th BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Ministerial Meeting was held in Jaipur, Rajasthan. The five-pronged approach namely Institution Building, Implementation, Integration, Innovation and Continuity was adopted.
- Andy Murray won the 2016 China Open Men’s Singles title at the National Tennis Center in Beijing, China. He defeated Grigor Dimitrov and became the only player to have won the title six times. In the women’s singles,
Agnieszka Radwanska from Poland won the title by defeating Johanna Konta.
- The words Aiyoh and Aiyah were added to the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) and are credited to the Mandarin and Cantonese dialects of Chinese. The other variants are also there in Tamil, Sinhalese, etc. Every year, four updates are made in the 150 year old dictionary which has up to 600000 entries.
- Luo Zhaohui was appointed as China’s Ambassador to India and he will succeed Le Yucheng who had left the position in April 2016.
- Sprinter Srabani Nanda won the 24th Ekalabya Award for the year 2016. The recipient in 2015 was Dutee Chand. The Ekalabya Award is instituted by the Indian Metals Public Charitable Trust of IMFA group of companies and is given every year to young sportspersons of Odisha in recognition of their outstanding performance in the preceding two years.