The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. You can thank Sayan Bhattacharya in the comments below for this brief!
- Bilateral Maritime exercise AUSINDEX started between India and Australia off the West Australian Coast in the port city of Freemantle. The Exercise was first conducted in India along the east coast in 2015. Indian warships INS Kamorta, the INS Shivalik (first stealth warship built in India), and oiler INS Jyoti, will take part in the exercise.
- SEBI has come up guidelines requiring the Commodity derivatives exchanges to compulsorily set up investor protection and service funds. The Investor Service Fund ISF is aimed at providing minimum facilities at various investor service centres.
- Virat Kohli reclaims the top spot in the recently released ICC ODI Batting rankings. South Africa’s AB de Villiers and Australia’s David Warner take up the second and third spot respectively. Josh Hazlewood of Australia took up the first spot in the bowlers rankings followed by Imran Tahir and Mitchell Starc.
- Reserve Bank of India has said that it will release new batch of 500 currency notes which will be similar in design to the Mahatma Gandhi series released post demonetisation.
- Panama has upgraded its commercial links and established full diplomatic links with China while breaking away from Taiwan. Panama is one of the largest economies to maintain diplomatic relation with Taiwan and now in its changed stance it claims to recognise only ‘One China’. The move is seen as Chinese strategy to isolate Taiwan. China historically claims Taiwan to be a part of its own territory.
- In a recently released CRY report, Uttar Pradesh ranks number one amongst states with highest child labourers followed by Bihar and Maharashtra.
- An expert committee has been set up by the Ministry of Home Affairs to examine rules which allow free movement of people along the Indo-Myanmar border. Indian and Myanmarese citizens are allowed free movement along 16 km of the international border which are widely exploited by people smuggling drugs, arms trafficking and fake currency.
- Rafael Nadal moved up the ATP Men’s Tennis Rankings by 2 spots to number 2. Andy Murray currently occupies the top spot and Stanilas Wawrinka sits at number 3.
- Indian shooters Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu have clinched the gold medal in mixed team 10m air pistol event of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup held at Gabala, Azerbaijan. However both of the shooters narrowly missed out the individual spots in men’s and women’s 10m air pistol event respectively.