The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- The restoration of an aristocratic house project from partial ruin state in Ladakh undertaken by LAMO (Ladakh Arts and Media Organisation) Center has won 2018 UNESCO Asia-Pacific award for Cultural Heritage conservation in Award of Distinction category. LAMO is public charitable trust established to articulate an alternative vision for the arts and media in Ladakh. The restored structure is strategically located at the foot of Leh palace, contributes to continuity of historic townscape of 17th century. UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation was established in 2000.
- Supreme Court has upheld presumption that couple who live together as husband and wife are legally married and woman can claim maintenance under Section 125 of Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC). The apex court held that law presumes in favour of marriage and against concubinage when man and woman have cohabited continuously for a number of years.
- The Public Service Broadcasting Day was observed across India on November 12, 2018. The day is observed every year to commemorate the first and last visit of the Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi to the studio of All India Radio, Delhi in 1947. Gandhi had decided to convey his message through radio, as he couldn’t visit the refugees of Partition stationed at Kurukshetra in Haryana. The day was declared as the Jan Prasaran Diwas (Public Service Broadcasting Day) in 2000, after it was conceptualised by Suhas Borker, Convenor, Jan Prasar.
- Union Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, Ananth Kumar passed away on November 12, 2018 at a private hospital in Bengaluru. Ananth Kumar represented the Bengaluru South parliamentary constituency six times in Lok Sabha since 1996. He joined the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) in 1987 and held posts of State Secretary, State President of the Yuva Morcha, General Secretary and National Secretary. In January 1998, Kumar became the first Indian politician to host his personal websites ‘www.dataindia.com’ and ‘www.ananth.org’, earning the tag of a tech-savvy leader. He will be remembered as the first person to speak in Kannada in the United Nations.
- The 33rd edition of the ASEAN Summit began on November 11, 2018 at Suntec Singapore Convention Centre, Singapore. Lee Hsien Loong, Prime Minister of Singapore, is the Chairman of this year’s Summit. The Indian side will be represented by Prime Minister Narendra Modi who is scheduled to attend the East Asia Summit and Associated meetings of ASEAN on November 14-15 in Singapore.
- On the last day of Summit that is November 15, Singapore PM Lee will hand over the ASEAN Chairmanship to Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha. The First ASEAN summit was held February 1976 in Bali, Indonesia.
- The Global Cooling Innovation Summit was inaugurated by Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan on November 12, 2018 in New Delhi. The Union Minister announced the launch of the Global Cooling Prize, an international competition to incentivise the development of a residential cooling technology that will have five times less climate impact in comparison to the standard Room Air Conditioning (RAC) units sold currently.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.