The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe here, and all the previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, do consider enrolling to our mock tests!
- Kolkata will be a getting a large indoor sports arena with a capacity of 15,400 people. It will be constructed in New Town Area and will be larger Indira Gandhi Arena in New Delhi which currently has the largest capacity of 14,348 people.
- Minister of State for Tourism and Culture, Dr. Mahesh Sharma laid the foundation stone for the 6 development projects under Spiritual Circuit of Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism in Baghpat, UP. The projects include- Trilokteerth Dham & Maa Manasa Devi Mandir in Badagaon, Pura Mahadev Mandir & Parashuram Bhagwan Mandir in Pura, Laakshagrah & Shri Chandraprabhu Digambar Jain Mandir in Barnawa.
- Punjab’s Deputy Chief Minister, Sukhbir Singh Badal launched the first amphibious bus of Punjab and announced that such a bus will also be launched in Bathinda. Amphibious buses work on land as well as on/under water and are mainly used for tours.
- 6 automotive testing, validation and research and development centres are being created in India. This National Automotive Testing and R&D Infrastructure Project is a joint initiative between Centre, state governments and Indian automotive industry.
- Satyam Bansal, Chief of Staff for Executive Chairman and Co-Founder of Flipkart exits the company after 3 years to join Hotstar after speculation that Flipkart’s investors are planning on getting professional management to run the company. Flipkart was founded in 2007 and has its headquarters in Bangalore.
- The Consumer Price Index (CPI)-based inflation dropped to 3.63 per cent in November, a record low in the new series from 4.2 per cent in October. The main reason according to analysis is said to be Demonetisation. A consumer price index (CPI) measures changes in the price level of a market basket of consumer goods and services purchased by households.
- 7th edition of Indo-Maldives military exercise, EKUVERIN will be held from 15th-28th December at Kaddhoo, Laamu Atoll, Maldives. It is a platoon level exercise conducted on a yearly basis.
- The 3rd edition of Kochi-Muziris Biennale, a 108 day long celebration of contemporary art in South Asia started on 12th December. The theme for this year is “Forming in the pupil of an eye” and will showcase 97 artists from 31 countries.
- The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for a bomb on a church in Cairo that killed 25 people. Cairo, situated on the Nile river is Egypt’s capital.
- Spain’s 11 hour working days could be shortened to bring it at par with rest of Europe. The employment minister announced a plan of letting people go at 6 pm instead of the current 8 pm.
- Akbar Ebrahim has been elected as the new FMSCI president and replaces Zayn Khan. FMSCI stands for Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India which has its headquarters in Chennai and was founded in 1971.
- 5-time world champion Viswanathan Anand has a draw with Michael Adams in the 4th round of London Chess Classic. This is his second draw in 4 games and keeps him in contention.
- World bronze-medalist boxer Shiva Thapa won his first lightweight (60kg) National Championships gold medal. The overall title went to Services Sports Control Board which won 4 gold, 1 silver and 3 bronze medals.
- Cricketer A. B. de Villiers announced that he steps down as Test captain of the South Africa team as he recovers from an elbow injury.