The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Tamil Nadu Government has issued order banning manufacture, sale and possession of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) or e-Cigarettes with immediate effect in the state. The ban covers distribution, trade, display, marketing, advertisement, use, import and possession of e-cigarettes as well. So far, Punjab, Karnataka, Kerala, Mizoram, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar already have prohibited manufacture, import, sale and distribution of ENDs or e-cigarettes. The Tamil Nadu government has already banned chewable tobacco products.
- Senior BJP leader L K Advani was renominated as Chairman of Ethics Committee of Lok Sabha. He was renominated by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan. L K Advani represents Gandhinagar Lok Sabha constituency from Gujarat. Ethics Committee of Lok Sabha formulates Code of Conduct for members and suggests amendments to it from time to time. It also oversees moral and ethical conduct of members.
- Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved proposal for introduction of Bill in Parliament for amendment of National Institute of Design (NID) Act, 2014 for establishing four new NIDs across the country. These four NIDs will be established at Vijayawada (Andhra Pradesh), Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh), Jorhat (Assam) and Kurukshetra (Haryana). It will help produce highly skilled manpower in design sector.
- Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has prohibited manufacture, sale, distribution of 328 Fixed Dose Combinations (FDCs) for human use with immediate effect. It has also restricted manufacture, sale or distribution of six FDCs subject to certain conditions. This ban was imposed by Health Ministry by exercising powers conferred to it in section 26A of Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940.
- Union Cabinet has approved MoU signed between Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) and member banks under BRICS Interbank Cooperation Mechanism on Collaborative Research on Distributed Ledger and Block chain Technology in context of development of digital economy. Blockchain technology or Distributed Ledger holds potential for solutions to various challenges being faced in financial sector space of BRICS nations. In September 2017 at 9th BRICS summit in Xiamen, China the Xiamen Declaration was signed by BRICS leaders that highlighted importance of digital economy.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on September 12, 2018 approved the proposal for electrification of balance un-electrified Broad Gauge Routes of Indian Railways. The Broad Gauge Routes comprise 108 sections covering 13675 route kilometers (16540 track kilometers) that will be electrified at a cost of Rs 12134.50crore by 2021-22. The electrification will save fuel, generate direct employment, boost capacity and speed, ensure safety, reduce fossil fuel consumption, reduce expenditure on maintenance of locomotive and sustainability.
- Union Minister for Minority Affairs, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi on September 13, 2018 launched the country’s first “National Scholarship Portal Mobile App” (NSP Mobile App). The National Scholarship Portal Mobile App will ensure a smooth, accessible and hassle-free scholarship system for students from poor and weaker sections. All the scholarships are being given directly into bank accounts of the needy students under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode through the National Scholarship Portal. It will prove beneficial for students and will help in strengthening a transparent mechanism for the scholarships.
- Chinese Consul-General in Kolkata, Ma Zhanwu on September 12, 2018 announced that China is looking forward to plan bullet trains from Kolkata to Kunming City of China. The project was mentioned at the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) meet in Kunming in 2015. The primary focus of the economic corridor is to facilitate trade and connectivity between the underdeveloped southwestern parts of China and the North Eastern region of India
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.