The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here.
- Union Home ministry has designated Dera Baba Nanak land post located in Punjab’s Gurdaspur district as an authorised immigration checkpoint to exit and enter for visiting Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara in Pakistan. Dera Baba Nanak shrine was established in 1522 by Guru Nanak Dev. As part of the trust-building exercise, the Pakistan had proposed to open the Kartarpur Sahib Corridor.
- The International Labour Organisation has released the annual World Employment and Social Outlook Trends for the year 2019. As per it, unemployment rates were anticipated to fall to 4.9% in 2019 and are expected to hold steady into 2020. The report also notes that around 114 million children aged 5-14 are involved in the global labour market and 73 million of them were working in hazardous conditions, according to data from 2016.
- The 61st GRAMMY Awards were held on February 10, 2019, at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Grammy Awards are presented by the Recording Academy to recognize achievements in the music industry. The Grammys held for the first time on May 4, 1959, are the second of the Big Three major music awards held annually (between the American Music Awards in the Fall, and the Billboard Music Awards in the Summer. The winner of Record of the Year: THIS IS AMERICA.
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the World Sustainable Development Summit 2019 in New Delhi, organized by The Energy and Resources Institute – TERI. The summit initiated in 2001 with the aim of making ‘sustainable development’ a globally shared goal, provides a platform for global leaders and practitioners to discuss and deliberate over climatic issues of universal importance. TERI – the Tata Energy Research Institute was established by the Mr Darbari S Seth in 1974.
- Minister of State for AYUSH, Shri Shripad Yesso Naik launched the e-Aushadhi portal for online licensing of Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Homoeopathy drugs as a part of governments commitment towards e-governance, ease of doing business and Make in India. The portal is intended to bring increased transparency, improved information management facility, improved data usability and increased accountability in the licensing of Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Homoeopathy drugs.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) every year celebrate February 13 as the World Radio Day to commemorate the anniversary of the establishment of the United Nations Radio. World Radio Day 2019 is celebrated, to highlight the importance of the radio in its search for a more peaceful and tolerant world, with the theme Dialogue, Tolerance and Peace. The first World Radio Day was celebrated in 2012.
- India celebrates Unani Day every year on February 11 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Hakim Ajmal Khan who took great interest in the expansion and development of the native system of Unani medicine. In recognition of his contribution, the Ministry of AYUSH adopted 11th February as Unani Day in 2017. On the occasion of unani day, a two day National Conference on Unani Medicine for Public Health was held at New Delhi.
- The third Indo-German Environment Forum with the theme “Cleaner Air, Greener Economy” was held in New Delhi on February 13, 2019. Two declarations were signed to increase cooperation in Clean air and combating air pollution and Preparation of reference and COINDS documents for textile sector. The first Indo-German Environment forum was held in the year 2008.
Check out the CLATGyan Test Series 2019 : 30 Simulated Online Tests + Personal Mentor | Run entirely by the students of NALSAR University of Law.