The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- The Mysore Railway division recently completed an aerial survey of the ghat section between Sakleshpur and Subramanya using drones, in light of the monsoon. This comes as a novel initiative that will ensure better preparedness by the Indian Railways to enhance passenger safety by ramping up measures in the vulnerable sections, including ghats and mountainous terrains across the country.
- The Carrier Pigeon Service — the heritage courier service of the Odisha Police, was put on public display on the 70th Independence Day celebrations yesterday. 22 pigeons were released in Bhubaneshwar, and unfailingly reached the police headquarters in Cuttack in 17 minutes, covering a distance of 30 kilometres.
- The Union Government has constituted a National Committee on Trade Facilitation (NCTF) to develop a pan-India road map for trade facilitation. It has been constituted in line with the World Trade Organisation (WTO’s) Trade Facilitation Agreement (FTA), which has been ratified by India.
- India’s first facility to produce nickel was launched by the Hindustan Copper Limited (HCL) at its Indian Copper Complex (ICC) at Ghatshila in Jharkhand.
- India’s first ever BIO-CNG plant producing CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) from agricultural residue was inaugurated in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Justice Manjula Chellur has been selected as the new Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court. Currently, she is the Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court. She will succeed CJ Dhirendra Hiralal Waghela who retires on August 24, 2016. She will be second woman Chief Justice of the Bombay HC, after Sujata Manohar in 1994.
- Eminent poet and lyricist Na Muthukumar has passed away. He was known for his critically acclaimed literary work and Tamil film songs. He has also won two national awards.
- India and Russia made significant progress in the discussions for modernisation of all Su-30 fighters of the Indian Air Force (IAF) during the visit of a Russian team last month. An agreement would be reached by the end of the year.
- Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa is expected to visit India in January next year. He is of Goan Indian descent, and Chief Minister Laxmikant Parserkar of Goa will formally invite Mr. Costa to Goa. Goa is an erstwhile Portuguese colony liberated in 1961.
- Andy Murray has won the gold medal for the Men’s Singles at the Rio Olympics by defeating Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina.
- Kei Nishikori of Japan has defeated Rafael Nadal to win the bronze medal.
- Elena Vesnina and Ekaterina Makarova of Russia won the women’s doubles gold, beating Martina Hingis and Timea Bacsinszky.
- South African Wayde van Niekerk smashed Michael Johnson’s long-standing 400m record and went on to win the gold medal.