The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- The Union Government and Asian Development Bank have signed a $500-million loan agreement for the construction of a 9.8km long bridge across Ganga in Bihar which would be the country’s longest river bridge. Asian Development Bank was established on 19 December 1966 with its headquarter in Manila, Philippines. It has 67 members with Japan as its largest shareholder (15.7%).
- 16th November is celebrated as International Day of Tolerance and Peace by UNESCO. It was started in 1995.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has increased the Minimum Support Price of wheat and pulses. Cost of wheat will be Rs. 1,625, Barley- Rs. 1,325, Mustard- Rs. 3,950 and Gram- Rs. 4,000 (all figures are per quintal). MSP is a government initiative to make cultivation a secure activity for farmers by reducing price fluctuations.
- China’s first female J-10 jet pilot Yu Xu passed away after being killed during an aerobatic training session.
- The constitution of a Special Committee for inter-linking of rivers has been approved by the union cabinet. The committee will monitor projects under the National Perspective Plan, 1980.
- The International Solar Alliance has been signed by over 20 countries including India. The signing will be followed by ratification by at least 15 countries before it becomes operational. ISA was launched by PM Modi and French President Francois Hollande at CoP21 in Paris in November, 2015.
- Maharashtra is now the first state to adopt Fly Ash Utilization Policy to use the ash generated from thermal power plants and biogas plants for construction work. Fly ash is a fine powder by-product derived from gases of burning coal in thermal power plants. Mainly consists of silica, alumina and iron.
- Hand-in-Hand military exercise between India and China begins in Pune. This is the 6th such joint exercise.
- Egypt’s court of cassation has overturned Mohamed Morsi’s Death Sentence. He was sentenced to death in June 2015 after being overthrown by then-general Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in mid-2013.
- Zakir Naik’s NGO Islamic Research Foundation has been declared unlawful association and banned for 5 years under Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
- Padmini Rout has won 2016 National Women Premier Chess Championship.
- The government has declared that the Union budget will be announced on February 1, 2017.