The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- HDFC Bank’s Aditya Puri has been ranked 36th in Fortune Magazine’s top 50 business persons list for 2016. The list was topped by Facebook’s Mark Zuckerburg and Microsoft’s CEO Satya Nadella ranked 5th.
- Indian Navy inducts 4 types of Indigenously developed sonar for increasing its surveillance capability. They have been developed by Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL) in Kochi. The 4 types are: Abhay, Humsa UG, AIDSS (Advanced Indigenous Distress sonar system) and NACS (Near-field Acoustic Characterisation System.
- Chattisgarh becomes the first state to adopt a resolution welcoming the demonetization of high-value currency notes. This resolution was moved by Chief Minister Raman Singh.
- India is hesitant to grant ‘Market Economy Status’ to China under World Trade Organization norms in December 2016 because it will substantially decrease India’s ability to impose anti-dumping duties on ‘unfairly priced’ Chinese imports. MES to a country means that exports from it are accepted at production costs and selling price as the benchmark.
- International Conference on Brucellosis was inaugurated in New Delhi. It has been organized by Department of Biotechnology with Indian Council for Agriculture Research. Brucellosis is a disease cause by Brucella bacteria and infects species of Brucella cows, buffalos, goats etc. Humans can become infected by coming in contact with animals.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has approved an order to withdraw Russia from the process of joining the International Criminal Court even though it signed the Rome Statue but never ratified the agreement.
- Iran has surpassed Saudi Arabia to become India’s no. 1 crude oil supplier where India imported 7,89,000 barrels per day from Iran. This hike is due to the discounts Iran provides.
- Jammu and Kashmir Government has launched Jehlum-Tawi flood recovery project to increase reconstruction and rehabilitation of infrastructure in the state after the 2014 floods. The project was formulated by former Chief Minister Mufti Muhammad Sayeed. $250 million loan for this project has been granted by International Development Association.
- China retains the No.1 spot in the list of world’s fastest supercomputers for its ‘Sunway TaihuLight’. This super-computer is capable of performing 93 milion billion calculations per second.
- India ranks 20th in the Climate Change Performance Index 2017 which was issued by the Germanwatch and Climate Action Network Europe.
- Dharambir Singh, a sprinter from Haryana has been given an eight-year ban by the National Anti-Doping Agency. This is his second dope-related offence.