The Daily Briefs are a comprehensive update of current affairs for the day. To know more about them, read this. If you’d like to receive updates for current affairs every day, you’ll need to subscribe by entering your email address at the right side of this page. The previous Briefs can be accessed at the archives here. Also, check out our mock tests!
- US president elect Donald Trump agreed on Friday to pay $25 million (around ₹170 crore) to settle fraud lawsuits over his Trump University seminars. The lawsuits had been filed by around 6,000 students who claimed Trump had lured them with false promises into paying $35,000 to learn a real estate investing “secrets”. Under the settlement, Trump will not admit any wrongdoing.
- Virat Kohli becomes the first player in International Cricket to have scored 500+ runs in all the three formats in a calendar year. Kohli’s aggregate 2196 runs this year includes 816 runs in Test, 641 runs in T20Is and 739 runs in ODIs. No player has ever crossed the 500 run mark in T20Is since the inception of the format.
- World Health Organization has recently declared that Zika is no longer an International emergency but stressed upon the fact that long term effort needs to be taken in order to deal with the virus.
- The state of Hawaii will soon have a formal sister-state relationship with Goa. This was stated by Tulsi Gabbard (Hawaii Congresswoman) said while addressing the World Hindu Economic Forum. She is the first Hindu lawmaker to be elected to the US Congress.
- Reliance Global has launched an international calling app “RGC India” (Reliance Global Call) which allows direct dialing of contacts doing away with the need of entering PIN numbers.
- A Brazilian couple, Paulo Gabriel da Silva Barros and Katyucia Lie Hoshino, with a combined height of 41 cm, is the shortest married couple now according to the Guinness World Record. Individually Paulomeasures 90.28cm and Katyucia measures 91.13 cm.
- Mahela Jayawardhane (former Sri Lankan cricketer/captain) has been selected as the new head coach of Mumbai Indians, replacing Ricky Ponting (former Australian cricketer/captain)
- Philippines will be hosting the 65th Miss Universe pageant in January. The coronation night will be held in Manila, while the pre-pageant events will be held in several cities including Cebu and Davao. Philippines was the first Asian country to host the event and has done this thrice since 1974.
- Slovenia amended its constitution to make access to drinking water a fundamental right for all citizens and stop its commercialization. With this, Slovenia becomes the first European country to include the right to water in its constitution.
- Guinea Bissau, a West African nation, has named Umaro Mokhtar Sissoco Embalo as its Prime Minister, the fifth candidate to be appointed as the country’s leader in a year. Altogether, till now the country has seen nine coups.